Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

@paslaugh 

I can tell you that the tax software I used last year (not TurboTax) failed to attach Form 8915-E for printing.

I wouldn't e-File because if it wasn't on the Print version how could I trust it would be in the Electronic version?

That problem was corrected sometime in late April 2021.

I'm having the same issue it's asking for a FEMA number and disaster name. I found out if I remove the total from the question that asks for bir 4b from 8915e and only fill in the other 2 it works. As soon as I put back the total amount u withdrew in the top box I get the FEMA error.

klhenry02

Just tried update however it does not appear to be working correctly.  It did not add the 1/3 amount for 2021 into income and is not flagging an error so my tax calculation is off by over 10k of income. Are others having same issue.  

Kelar419

Alright I’m beyond frustrated. We’ve waited forever for this form to be released, now it finally has it and it appears there is an error? Im being prompted to enter a disaster name and fema number, neither of which it seems should be needed. Do we have an estimated release date on a fix? This is maddening. 

Does anyone know how a state should be handled that didn't allow the income to be split over 3 years? I paid taxes on the full distribution for my state last year,  but Turbo Tax is now carrying the 1/3 amount from Federal into state. There is a Federal/State differences section under state where I can put a negative amount for the 1/3. Is that the correct way to handle this, or do I have to go through the process of amending my previous return?

@rkavanau 

If you paid state tax on 100% in 2020, TurboTax should ask you about it so that it is not added on this year.

If it doesn't do that, boo on TurboTax.

You have to find some way to reduce the 2021 state taxable amount of IRA or 401k in the program either on a worksheet, or with an override.

@rkavanau 

enter the minus 1/ 3 offset as you proposed, and your tax return will be correct.

@fanfare

It does not ask. In the State area there is an Other Federal/State Difference box where I can enter any amount. The "?" mentions COVID distributions (shown below), but there is no specific instructions for this, and those instructions mention an amended return. I've found that I can just enter a negative amount into this box and it will reduce my state income to match what I'd expect. However, that seems a little hacky and I wasn't sure if there was a proper way to do it. 

Indiana has updated federal provision conformity date of March 31, 2021.

If you have previously filed your 2020 IN tax return with the following adjustments, you may be required to file an amended IN income tax return to reverse the adjustment.

Items Indiana previously did not conform and now retroactively conforms.

- Excess Deduction Upon Termination of a Trust
 - Coronavirus or Diaster-Related Retirement Distributions reported on 8915s
 - Depreciation on Qualified Improvement Property
 - Above the Line Charitable Contribution Deduction
 - 30-year Depreciation of Certain Residential Real Property
 - 2020 Tax Extenders Provisions

Anyone who is seeing this message in the picture, leave Disaster name blank, and in FEMA Disaster number just enter a space (space bar once) and that is all, this worked for me. 😀 Cheers.

Yup. Same here. If the form isnt directly editable on your computer, i found that on the mobile app it is. Checked the actual return copy and it looks like 8915 is there and accurate.

J808

It does not appear to be working properly.  I took out a 401k covid distribution in 2020.  I opted to spread the tax burden over 3 years.  I used 8915-e in 2020.  Turbo tax allows me to fill in the 2020 total distribution and the amount I claimed on 2020 taxes, which was 1/3 of the total.  However, it is not adding it to income and my running tax payment/refund does not change.  Further indicating that it is not adding this amount to 2021 income.  

@J808 wrote:

It does not appear to be working properly.  I took out a 401k covid distribution in 2020.  I opted to spread the tax burden over 3 years.  I used 8915-e in 2020.  Turbo tax allows me to fill in the 2020 total distribution and the amount I claimed on 2020 taxes, which was 1/3 of the total.  However, it is not adding it to income and my running tax payment/refund does not change.  Further indicating that it is not adding this amount to 2021 income.  

Did you enter the 1/3 of the distribution on both lines as follows -

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 - Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 -  Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

J808

Wow, that was it. Thank you!  I went over it multiple times and could not figure that out. I appreciate it!  

src5tt

I keep getting the 8195e-t screen that tells me i need to enter

Disaster start date

Disaster end date

First distribution date

final distribution date.

There is also what looks like an incorrect coding even though previously i checked covid.  It is showing this DR-4554-AL which looks like its tied to alabama...

The online help and phone help isn't very helpful.  Anyone else having this issue?

lkd4027

I received my 2020 Qualified Disaster Retirement payment in late 2020 and marked I would pay it over 3 years. I made the first payment on my 2020 tax form. In 2021, I was able to pay the entire amount back. When I fill out the 8915-F, it actually is still making me pay money even though I've returned the entire amount. The IRS indicated that no further tax would be due (and we should receive back what was already paid) when and if the entire amount was returned. I don't understand. Do I file the 8915-F that it was paid and then I have to file an amended return for 2020. I'm so confused and getting nothing but confusing responses back. Any help is appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies