Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

@Don_Cope If you chose to stretch 2020 COVID disbursement income into 2021 and 2022 using the 1/3rd election you do need Form 8915-F. 

Now if you chose to have your entire COVID disbursement income taxed in 2020, and/or you paid it back in its entirety in 2020, you don’t need the form.

@cdicpa I’m pretty sure the alternative filing method applies to 2020 returns using the 8915-E not 2021 tax returns. 

Thanks that is what I needed to know. Only a few more days now. WHOOP! WHOOOOP!

After selecting that I took a disaster relief for 2020 it should direct me to everything else? 

The exact flow that TurboTax will use is yet to be seen.

Only the developers know at this point.

wabouham

It’s March 20 and TurboTax Premier still does not have this Form 8915-E and won’t let you e-file.  When I try to check for updates, TurboTax Premier downloaded software says I am up to date.  When will you fix this ?  I paid to file electronically and have my taxes completed by this software and now I cannot and the filing deadline is 3 weeks away.  Any updates and suggestions ?

zeeiyer

So it is already March 21, 2022 and still no form...i.e. cannot file taxes with less than 4 weeks remaining. Any updates ? 

@zeeiyer wrote:

So it is already March 21, 2022 and still no form...i.e. cannot file taxes with less than 4 weeks remaining. Any updates ? 

Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Retirements is scheduled be available in TurboTax on 03/24/2022

@paslaugh  You are correct that the Alternative method did come out Feb 8, 2021 (in time for 2020 returns) however it appears it wasn't restricted for tax year 2020 on this matter.  Bottom line appears the IRS was trying to give a solution to filing the returns electronically (which they desperately want to eliminate paper returns) and still obtain the information from the taxpayer that they needed.   It still looks like the solution for most of us may happen but it may be March 31 before the form will be out.   What I see in the Alternative method is the IRS saying "the form isn't technically functioning for efile so you may attach a statement with the same info on it as a .pdf to your tax return as an alternative method so you can efile"?  Just my 2 cents.  Personally I am going to wait until March 31 and see but be prepared to do the Alternative method if the solution isn't resolved.  The way things are right now with getting anything done on paper with the IRS is not an option.  

Thanks for your input. 

What if our taxes were paid out of our distribution payment?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you had a retirement plan distribution in 2020 and elected to report the income over three years, you will need Form 8915-F (scheduled to be available 3/24/22), which replaces Form 8915-E. 

If this applies, the Federal Tax withheld on your 1099-R will be entered again.  You may need your 1099-R from 2020. 

Click this link for more info on Form 8915-F.

Even though you had taxes withheld on a retirement distribution, your total income is used when calculating your tax. 

If you had W-2 income, for example, where not enough tax was withheld, you could owe more tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NoSleep23

It's March 23 and the stupid form is still unavailable. What's more, it seems as if once it IS available, I won't be able to use Turbo Tax to file electronically.  Is that true? If so, what's the point of even buying and using the software in the first place?  

I suspect there are quite a few people in the US waiting for Turbo Tax to get on the ball with this form. Please provide an update if at all possible. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Great news! The IRS created new Form 8915-F to replace Form 8915-E.  This form will be used for anyone who chose to take a distribution from their retirement and spread the taxable amount over three years. It will be eligible for e-file.

It was recently (approximately 10 days) taken out of draft and finalized.  TurboTax has an available date of March 24, 2022.  Continue to check the availability date by using the link provided.

When entering your 1099-R in TurboTax CD/Download, you’ll be asked Was this withdraw due to Covid-19? On the next screen, it should ask you Did you test positive for the coronavirus in 2020? However, some users are reporting they aren’t being asked that second question.

We’re working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, sign up here.

@NoSleep23

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I re-enter the 2020 1099-R for this year to file the 2nd year out of my 3? And then move forward with the turto tax prompt? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies