Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E be available? I would like to file.

How about NJ? I did an IRA withdrawal of $30,000. I wand to pay back $10,000 before the filing deadline as allowed in the CARES act. The federal return using form 8915-E handles that without a problem, but the NJ return does not take into account the $10,000 I will be returning -- it still says the original $30,000 withdrawal.

Will the fix apply for WI State filing as well?  Receiving same error as mentioned.

I was having this same issue when trying to file my NY state taxes. I spoke to a turbo tax representative and also saw in other threads where turbo tax reps were advising we could choose to e-file federal and then complete the State taxes once the error had been resolved. I have done this and federal was accepted. Hopefully this was the correct advice and they have not since changed what they were recommending. 

No, this is still broken. I spent 4 hours with three separate Intuit agents.  Two of them hung up on me after over an hour on hold. If you repay the RMD line 18 on the 8915-E is STILL showing blank, even though Intuit needs to fix this form so if you have no tax liability due to repaying your RMD after the CARES act it correctly shows a zero balance on the 1040.  8915-e error prior to efile 

Kivro, do you mean broken on your state return? Because when TurboTax asks me if I repaid any amount of my CARES act IRA withdrawal, it updates Line 18 on the 8915-E properly, which then updates the 1040 form properly. Definitely no issues with the federal return...at least for me.

@kivro wrote:

No, this is still broken. I spent 4 hours with three separate Intuit agents.  Two of them hung up on me after over an hour on hold. If you repay the RMD line 18 on the 8915-E is STILL showing blank, even though Intuit needs to fix this form so if you have no tax liability due to repaying your RMD after the CARES act it correctly shows a zero balance on the 1040.  8915-e error prior to efile 

A repaid *RMD* does not go on a 8915-E form at all.    It is simply a rollover.   To get the rollover question  you must answer the RMD question  that it was NOT a RMD, because it wasn't.     Saying that it was a RMD will block the question  because RMD's are not eligable for rollover, but 2020 had no RMD's for IRA's.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

So I definitely took out $ from this inherited IRA, because I got a 1099-R. and I Definitely paid it all back before the August deadline. TT is showing the distribution as income and the form 8915-E is NOT showing the $ repaid on line 18 of the 8915-E. I need to know which boxes to legally click to both acknowledge I received the money and repaid it, and have the 1040 NOT show the income 

So I definitely took out $ from this inherited IRA, because I got a 1099-R. and I Definitely paid it all back before the August deadline. TT is showing the distribution as income and the form 8915-E is NOT showing the $ repaid on line 18 of the 8915-E. I need to know which boxes to legally click to both acknowledge I received the money and repaid it, and have the 1040 NOT show the income 

I also made sure to follow the TT instructions and click the "none of this was an RMD" on purpose to trigger the line 18 full amount rolled over on Form 8915-E and it still is not populating

@kivro wrote:

I also made sure to follow the TT instructions and click the "none of this was an RMD" on purpose to trigger the line 18 full amount rolled over on Form 8915-E and it still is not populating

The 8915-E form is NOT used for a RMD rollover.   You simply say it was not a RMD and then say it was rolled over.    A TMD rollover is NOT a COVID related distribution (CRD).   The rollover is reported on the 1040 Line 4b with the word "ROLLOVER" next to it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MasterAmbriz_2021
Returning Member

How do I know if the updated/approved 8915-E is now in the updated TurboTax program? And how do I use it? where do I go?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E is updated in TurboTax now.   You can apply the relief provisions of Form 8915-E, by entering your retirement income on Form 1099-R.   After you enter the 1099-R, you will be asked if this was a covid related distribution.  Once you answer YES, TurboTax will ask you some follow-up questions, and then fill out and attached Form 8915-E to your tax return. 

You qualify if:

• You, your spouse, or your dependent are diagnosed with COVID-19
  • You experience adverse financial consequences as a result of being quarantined, furloughed, or laid off
  • You had work hours reduced to COVID-19
  • You’re unable to work due to child care closure or hour reduction

The early withdrawal penalty will be waived.  The distribution would be taxed over 2020, 2021, and 2022. You’ll have that time to pay back the funds you withdrew, without the amount impacting that year’s cap on contributions, and if you pay back the amount within that time, you’ll be able to claim a refund on those taxes.       @MasterAmbriz_2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MasterAmbriz_2021 wrote:

How do I know if the updated/approved 8915-E is now in the updated TurboTax program? And how do I use it? where do I go?

The Form 8915-E was included in the TurboTax online editions on 02/25/2021

The Form 8915-E was a software update to the TurboTax desktop editions on 02/26/2021

You have to enter or edit the Form 1099-R and then answer the Covid-19 questions before the software will generate the Form 8915-E and include the form in the filed 2020 federal tax return.

Thanks Ambriz, but that is NOT the problem. The problem is the current 8915-E populated is NOT zeroing out the rolled over distribution. Line 18 on the 8915-E MUST equal the distribution in order for the math to zero out the IRA income on the 1040.  I need the exact clickety click to enter so that the 1099R already reported to the IRS is zeroed out on the 8915-E line 18 because I repaid the distribution in time. Nothing I try is working

That's not working. the form is NOT fixed. I need the exact clickety click to enter so that the 1099R already reported to the IRS is zeroed out on the 8915-E line 18 because I repaid the distribution in time. Nothing I try is working and I qualify for the waiver.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies