Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: When will form 4684 be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

74 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Form 4868 is available to download/print from the IRS website now: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf if you want print and mail it.

TurboTax's Easy Extension was made available in mid March of last year for 2018 Extensions.  I would guess that it will be a similar date this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am looking to include it with my 2019 tax return in the app. When I go to fill it out, I get the following message: 

Form 4684 - Casualty & Theft Worksheet (Untitled): _ You can't file just yet due to a recent law passed by Congress. This may mean a better tax outcome for taxpayers like you who may have been affected by a natural disaster. Right now, we're waiting for the IRS to provide updated tax forms. We can keep working on your tax return and we'll let you know when the new form is available and help you finish up your taxes.
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

The form is being finalized and we expect it to be released soon. The form will be added back to the TurboTax Forms Availability List  by the end of today. You will be able to check on the release date by tomorrow.

slli
Returning Member

We are ready to submit with the exception of Form 4684 due to Hurricane Michael.  Will you notify us when Turbo Tax has it available?  How will you notify us, and when can we expect it?  It is ready through the IRS website.  

slli
Returning Member

It is still not available as of 2/17/2019.  Any updates as to when it will be available in turbo tax?  We are ready to submit.  

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Form 4684 is now available. It was delayed due to changes in a tax law concerning casualty losses that was signed into law on December 20, 2019. 

The disaster relief portion of the law provides special tax relief for individuals and businesses in Presidentially-declared disaster areas occurring between January 1, 2018 and 30 days following the date of enactment of the law. Here are some of the provisions providing relief:

Special Rules for Qualified Disaster-Related Personal Casualty Losses – If you were a disaster victim, the provision eliminates the current law requirement that personal losses have to exceed 10% of adjusted gross income and eliminates the requirement that you have to itemize your tax deductions in order to claim your casualty loss.

Eased Access to Retirement Funds – If you were a hurricane victim, you will not be subject to the 10% early plan withdrawal penalty for qualified disaster relief distributions from retirement funds up to $100,000. If you had to cancel your home purchase as a result of an eligible disaster, you can also re-contribute your retirement plan withdrawal for home purchases or construction and avoid the tax on the plan withdrawal.

Special Rules for Determining Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit – If you were in a designated disaster area, you can use income from 2018, if it is lower, to qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.

Automatic Extension Filing Deadline – If your principal place of residence or business is located in a disaster area, you are automatically granted a 60-day tax filing extension.

grandmalo

I need to report a fraud on form 4684

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Go to TurboTax PERSONAL.

Under Deductions and Credits

Then scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits

Click Casualties and Thefts

Then follow the on screen instructions.

Right now Turbo Business says there are no errors in the trust return.  However, when printing it form 4684 says "do not file."  I assume then that the 4684 needs more updates?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Form 4684 is not showing available yet. It is set to be available on 2/25/2021. You can monitor the time frame by clicking here on the forms availability page. 

First yall says it will be ready by Feb 12,  then Feb 24  now I check and its say March 3rd  and I'm betting it will get push again next week to march 30th.  I need this form  as i had damage i had to pay out of pocket for that insurance did not pay for.   Not right for yall to hold up taxpayers from filing.  I've used Turbotax for near 10 years and never see a form  take this long to get completed.   With the delays  doubt yall will complete the form by tax deadline at this rate.    I'm about to try to find somewhere else to file my taxes  as this beyond ridiculous.

Why is 4684 P1 Still not available? This is the 3rd rescheduling. After being devastated in hurricane delta this is really disappointing to have to wait even longer to file due to this.

A few days ago the app said this form would be available on 2/25.  Today it says it will be available 3/4.  What is the delay?

Went to HR block and  they had the form ready to go,  its not a IRS  issue its 100%  TurboTax  issue.   I have filed with HR Block due to this form and  they got me 500$  than Turbotax was going to get me.  Think Turbotax has lost a  a long time user over 10 years.   Also tried 5x  to get a live person on phone and it took cursing out the automated system to get to a live person.   Should not have to do that to get help.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies