Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I upload the CSV file from coinbase to turbo tax it shows error messages " No headers found in this file ". Does anyone know how to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

When I upload the CSV file from coinbase to turbo tax it shows error messages " No headers found in this file ". Does anyone know how to fix this?

Please try this.  

We've built a solution that allows you to import transactions from Coinbase to TurboTax, with plenty of help and resources along the way.  

CSV files will include the cost basis of your Coinbase transactions (if available)so TurboTax Premier can easily help you file your cryptocurrency transactions.

see link(s) below-

How to file crypto taxes with TurboTax?

TurboTax Makes it Easier for Coinbase Customers to Report

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This creates ANOTHER pay wall, if you have over 100 transaction lines, you pay $200 to the other provider to input data about gains or losses for crypto with turbo tax? Why even use turbo tax at that point? Your articles are outdated and worthless.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Coinbase no longer supports a direct import of a CSV file into TurboTax from their site which has resulted in an error message for some users. Instead, Coinbase is relying on a 3rd party, CoinTracker, as an option to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file.

For more information, including a link to CoinTracker, please see this TurboTax Help Article: How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

notyoshi

Can you tell me why my cointracker CSV is not uploading? Also, can you tell me what my odds are that I'm going to use TurboTax next year if this issue isn't sorted within 24 hours? (hint, it's zero)

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@notyoshi What is the specific error message you are receiving? 

ansrb

The error is the same for everyone.

Coinbase says to use CoinTracker to do taxes with TurboTax.

When you download the CSV, then upload it to Turbotax the error is:

"No headers found in this file"

This is the only step needed to complete my taxes at this point and it is proving impossible. Help.

ansrb

There is absolutely no reason why this was so difficult to find but I hope this helps some people. I gift to you the most hidden post by CoinTracker ever:

https://help.cointracker.io/en/articles/265[product key removed]racker-to-file-with-turbotax

Cointracker provides the option to download two types of CSV files, Transaction History and Capital Gains. The Capital Gains CSV file is the one that will upload into TT correctly. This can be found by going to the "Taxes" tab at the top of the screen and selecting "Tax Center." Then, scroll down until you see "Tax Reports" on the right hand side of the screen. Click on "CSV Reports" and download "Capital Gains CSV." This should result in a successful upload of your transactions into TurboTax

Screenshot 2021-03-17 233650.jpg

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for assistance with uploading your CSV filed from Coinbase: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/cryptocurrency/help/how-do-i-get-a-csv-file-from-coinbase/01/27533...

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Hey, I have a solution that was created recently by a coworker and I tried it last night.  It works but requires some work.  Here it is and good luck.  Please let me know if this works for you.

I was able to get a CSV file imported into TurboTax.   I selected BitTaxer and deleted all columns from my CSV file except for the 5 listed below.   I had to delete the Service Name column.  It finally worked, but not until my column labels matched the following:

1. Purchase Date
  2. Date Sold
  3. Proceeds
  4. Cost Basis
  5. Currency Name

All transactions imported and I was able to check off the ones that are not taxable (such as your rewards) so as to not include them on my tax return.   I hope this works for you!!  

Costs 200$ to use Cointracker

Could be that you have only a few transactions.
In my case, I am asked first to pay in order to see my Tax Report - 200$.

Capture.JPG

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Try the steps posted by DawnC in this thread here to see if it helps with importing your CSV file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies