turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dlj8
Returning Member

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

I am having the same issues

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

I can not save my entries.  Says my file is locked and I do not have permission.   I have MacBook Air and have tried to save in documents and also on flash drive.  

HELP!!! 

Read the reply by macuser_22.  HIs response to Macuser_27 worked for me.

Rumo4118

Again this year, I am unable to e-file because it says I can't save to the required file location. Or anywhere else. The Locked checkbox in Get Info was never checked, but I have checked and unchecked it repeatedly. I have Restarted. I have tried to Move my file location, which is usually on a thumb drive, to my Desktop, and I am told I don't have rights to save there, or to Documents, which is where it says it's saving. It's clearly saving SOMEWHERE, because Open Recent brings up my file.

Last year, I don't think I was actually rejected from E-file because of this problem, I just had to worry that maybe I wouldn't end up with a final copy unless I saved a PDF, which I did. This year, it's telling me I will have to mail my return if I can't Save. HELP!!!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I will suggest you contact customer service.  Click here:  TurboTax contact

@Rumo4118

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Rumo4118 wrote:

Again this year, I am unable to e-file because it says I can't save to the required file location. Or anywhere else. The Locked checkbox in Get Info was never checked, but I have checked and unchecked it repeatedly. I have Restarted. I have tried to Move my file location, which is usually on a thumb drive, to my Desktop, and I am told I don't have rights to save there, or to Documents, which is where it says it's saving. It's clearly saving SOMEWHERE, because Open Recent brings up my file.

Last year, I don't think I was actually rejected from E-file because of this problem, I just had to worry that maybe I wouldn't end up with a final copy unless I saved a PDF, which I did. This year, it's telling me I will have to mail my return if I can't Save. HELP!!!

If you are using a Mac then look back in this thread for the answer.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DChinn

This worked!  Thanks,  G

Had the same issue; autosave would not work and when trying to file electronically continued to get the warning that 'file was locked and did not have permission to access....' Could never get return to efile. After hours of checking that the files were not locked and I had permission to read and write I finally stumbled on the suggestion to check if TurboTax had been granted Full Disk Access in the Privacy setting in the Security and Privacy area under System Preferences. This solved the issue.

Pfiddy
Returning Member

I tried adding it to Full Access, as some people have had luck with, but full access isn't granted until I reopen Turbotax. And I can't quit Turbotax without saving the file. How have people who had success with this done it?

Save to your desktop.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Pfiddy
Returning Member

Thanks for the response Champ. I can't save to my desktop either. I've tried Desktop, Downloads & Documents. Luckily, that made me realize I hadn't tried an external drive and that worked! So, my problem solved now I think. Hope that helps others.

bfillman

second year in a row with same problem TT says unable to save cause file is locked, but file is not locked.  Because will not save am unable to transmit return electronically.... is not a MAC problem... is a TurboTax problem.... so very disappointing and very, very frustrating.... and knowing I am the only one is no comfort.

@bfillman wrote:

second year in a row with same problem TT says unable to save cause file is locked, but file is not locked.  Because will not save am unable to transmit return electronically.... is not a MAC problem... is a TurboTax problem.... so very disappointing and very, very frustrating.... and knowing I am the only one is no comfort.

Could be a permissions problem or the file is inside a folder and the folder is locked.

https://pdf.wondershare.com/macos-10-15/fix-documents-not-saving-on-macos-10-15.html

I am using turbotax for the first time in several years. I am using it on an Imac which is up to date on its system software. After laboring several days on my tax forms I tried to save the file. The program would not save the file in any way, except by printing it or sending a PDF into the cloud. I did this after filing and I happy I did because over night we had a power interruption and the files are gone from Turbotax memory. This is clearly a program fault. 

Another thing I noticed is when filing the Federal Forms, the IRS asks for a drivers license including both its expiration date and its issue date. When I entered the correct dates in each section, turbotax insisted that the dates were incorrectly entered. I spent some time trying to figure this out. Guess what, if you enter the issue date in the expiration box and the expiration date in the issue box it works! I wonder if the IRS will notice that my license was issued on the date it expired!

I wonder if the Windows version gets more attention...

Drivers lic is not required. It is just extra security.

You should save the tax return often.

Usually the  reason for not being able to save is that TurboTax disc access is not allowed in System preferences -> Security and Privacy

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.38.41 PM.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies