turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davro22

When i entered my 1095a turbo tax is telling me I need to repay $600... I made LESS then estimated when i applied to the marketplace. Is this a turbo tax error?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

When i entered my 1095a turbo tax is telling me I need to repay $600... I made LESS then estimated when i applied to the marketplace. Is this a turbo tax error?

No.  The Premium Tax Credit is based on an income minimum and maximum limitation.  So you can make too much, or too little to qualify for the entire Premium Credit.

From the IRS Publication link below:  To be eligible for the premium tax credit, your household income must be at least 100 – but no more than 400 – percent of the federal poverty line for your family size, although there are two exceptions for individuals with household income below 100 percent of the applicable federal poverty line. Remember that simply meeting the income requirements does not mean you’re eligible for the premium tax credit. You must also meet the other eligibility criteria. 

So your income probably dropped below the minimum so you no longer qualified for the full Credit and have to pay a portion of it back.

Eligibility for the Premium Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ruth C
Returning Member

What is the 2020 federal poverty limit at 400%?  I've searched the government sites, I've found $68,960 and $67,640 don't know which is correct.  In another response on Turbo Tax a reply said $68,960 but is wasn't listed as a Turbo Tax expert. 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

400% of the FPL for a family of 2 is $68,960.

Please see this government webpage.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies