Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgreco

When filling out 1099-S Certification Exemption Form, will question 4 always be False if the sales price is over $500,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When filling out 1099-S Certification Exemption Form, will question 4 always be False if the sales price is over $500,000?

Not necessarily...basis in the home needs to be taken into consideration.
For instance you bought for $400K and sold for $600K so the profit is only $200K even though the 1099-S shows the $600K .
Read the form instructions carefully.
cgreco

Question 4 reads:

———-

The sale or exchange is of the entire residence for $250,000 or less.

OR

I am married, the sale or exchange is of the entire residence for $500,000 or less, and the gain on the sale or exchange of the entire residence is $250,000 or less.

OR

I am married, the sale or exchange is of the entire residence for $500,000 or less, and (a) I intend to file a joint return for the year of the sale or exchange, (b) my spouse also used the residence as his or her principal residence for periods aggregating 2 years of more during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange of the residence, and © my spouse also has not sold or exchanged another principal residence during the 2-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange of the residence.

————

I don’t see how any of these statements can be True if the sales price is over $500,000.  Am I missing something?  Even if a 1099-S gets filed with the IRS, won’t I be able to show on next year’s tax forms that my gains are less than $250,000 and I don’t need to pay any taxes?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies