turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What year(s) do I file a form 1099-R 2020: Removal of excess contribution to Roth IRA in?

I did my habitual Roth IRA contribution in 2019, but then did not end up making enough income to have made a contribution. I realized this in March of 2020. I did a removal of excess (including interest and had them withhold taxes) for my 2019 contribution. I received no 2019 forms for this action.
I have received a form 1099-R for the year 2020 for this action.

I don't know if I need to file this as part of my 2019 return? or my 2020 return? or both.

In turbo tax for 2020 when I enter this, it asks me the question what year this form has on it -

I enter 2020, and then says I may need to amend my 2019 return.

So, what year or years do I need to enter this 1099-R for?

Thank you!

-David

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What year(s) do I file a form 1099-R 2020: Removal of excess contribution to Roth IRA in?

@Dave8812 wrote:

The code in box 7 is: PJ

Yes, there is tax withheld in box 4

Box 2a shows the taxable amount (which looks like it is the amount of interest that was made on initial contribution)

Code P means that the box 2a amount is taxable in 2019, so the 2020 1099-R must be entered into an amended 2019 tax return.  The interview will ask what year the 1099-R is for - (2019 or 2020) select 2020.

It makes little sense to have any box 4 tax withheld for a contribution return because tax withholding can only apply to the tax year that it was withheld  - (2020)  Also enter the 1099-R into your 2020 tax return.   The box 1 and 2a will be ignored but the box 4 tax withheld will go on the 2020 1040 line 20b to offset 2020 tax or add to refund.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What code is in box 7 on the 1099-R? 

Is tax withheld in box 4?

What is in box 2a?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Box 2a shows the taxable amount (which looks like it is the amount of interest that was made on initial contribution)

@Dave8812 wrote:

Code P means that the box 2a amount is taxable in 2019, so the 2020 1099-R must be entered into an amended 2019 tax return.  The interview will ask what year the 1099-R is for - (2019 or 2020) select 2020.

It makes little sense to have any box 4 tax withheld for a contribution return because tax withholding can only apply to the tax year that it was withheld  - (2020)  Also enter the 1099-R into your 2020 tax return.   The box 1 and 2a will be ignored but the box 4 tax withheld will go on the 2020 1040 line 20b to offset 2020 tax or add to refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies