Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

balavinod

What is this error fdi_8962_depline2bempty_errorhold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

It appears that Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit), Line 2b has an error. On the Form 8962, the line instructions are "Enter the total of your dependents' modified AGI (see instructions)". Based on the context of this error message, it sounds like this is where your error is. May I recommend returning to your 1095-A entries in TurboTax and reviewing your entries closely, namely anything regarding dependents?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shanboy11
Returning Member

I've already reviewed that and there does not appear to be any place to make this change. TurboTax does not put 0s on their returns. So if the value is 0 they will just leave it blank. If line 2b is blank then the IRS is rejecting it. I don't think this will be fixed any time soon since this appears to be a TurboTax issue and they have no idea what is going on at this point.

I am having the same issue i recieved error 8962 and everything is filled out?I do notice that turbotax does not have section II of the 1095-a form?could this be the problem?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This error should be corrected.  You might need to delete your 1095-A and re-enter it.  If you have dependents, you should look for this box.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why would i fill that out if my dependants are young kids who do not work?There's 3 sections to a 1095-a form and my turbotax is not showing the 2nd section?which ask for depents info who has the health coverage which is me?...The error is saying the dependant section is empty im guessing thats the problem?

I had this error, too. I deleted the 1095-A entry and then re-entered the information. I had to check, the box for "I have at least one dependent on my taxes who's filing a separate return" even though this is not true (she's 4 years old). Then I could type in 0 for her AGI, which is needed on Form 8962. Hopefully my return won't be rejected, again.

I see i will try that a lady earlier told me i had to check the box but didnt explain it that way thank you hopefully it does work 

I have the same problem. My tax return was rejected because section II is missing from the software. I can see what they want from me in the PDF version but I have no idea how to fill it out in Turbotax software. It's just not there. Is it going to be corrected? How long is it going to take?

Please, help.

Please, let me know if it worked and you were able to refile.

Doing the steps explained above, my return was finally accepted. Good luck to everyone else.

ssegura31

This is kind of ridiculous.

- IRS rejects 8962 because line 2b is empty.

- but the IRS instructions for Line2b on Form 8962 say to LEAVE LINE 2B BLANK if it doesn't apply to you and to just enter your AGI on line 3!

- either Turbo Tax isn't submitting the right data or the IRS has a bug validating the data according to their own set of instructions for form 8962.

- we shouldn't have to find a workaround!

Fix thisTurboTax!

jarivera

Had the same error happening to me. I used the workaround of selecting dependents with 0 MAGI and I noticed that after that the form 8962 now has a "0" value in field 2B (you can check that by switching from "step-by-step" to "form view" in Turbo Tax). I just filed again and I am waiting for it to be accepted. We'll see what happens this time around.

jeezus
Returning Member

FDI_8962_DepLine2bEmpty_ErrorHold
Seems that a fair amount of TTO customers find themselves with a rejected (or on Hold) return and unable to accommodate requests to provide form 8962   Customers intent on paying turbotax fees out of their refund ,once rejected, could neiither print forms, nor make it back to the efile screen because of issues where validation wouldn't tolerate zeros in the 1095a field. The only way to fix this was to:

1. Install TurboTax Desktop onto PC.

2. Save the .tax file (by going to Tax tools  -> Tools -> Save Tax Return to Computer. The "Download Tax Return" option under "Documents and Tax Returns"  seems buggy and will leave you with corrupted .tax file.)

3. Open the .tax file in TurboTax Desktop. delete the erroneous 8962, then re-visit the 1095-a information (which also recreates the 8962 form with the newly entered 1095 information)

4. Review line 2B (of form 8962) in the Forms view. Whenever the answer for line 2B is either 0 or N/A, TurboTax seems to leave the field blank (Which is what causes IRS validation to reject the return.)

It seems that a lot of customers have received letters from the IRS instructing them to simply mail or fax a copy of their 8962. In order to access turbotax's 8962, Forms mode (and therefore Desktop) would be required. At which point, it seems that, rather than simply printing off the 8962 and maliing it to the IRS, it would be just as easy to use the required forms mode access to manually enter zero into line 2b and take advantage of the resultant newly restored ability to efile.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies