turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwhaleyj

What is a DED number when filing a MO tax return ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

This refers to the MO Department of Economic Development tax credits. Click the link to see if you qualify for these credits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jwilson19

I work for a nonprofit that utilizes Missouri State Tax Credits to maximize giving and a donor called because Turbo Tax asked for a "DED #" as they were filing. The number Turbo Tax is referring to is the number listed on the tax credit form from the State. Enter that number on Turbo Tax to allow you to move forward in your filing. 

Please can you be more elaborate on the #DED number?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The DED number is an identification number issued by the Missouri Department of Economic Development.  It is located on the certificate of eligibility issued to taxpayers who qualify for certain credits.  So if you qualify for any of the special credits, you would have received a certificate from the DED with a number on the back that you would need to input in your state interview.

What if you never received that number, but Turbo Tax is still requiring you to have it in order to E-File? I have tried finding it myself on MO Gov's website, but can't seem to find anything on it except that applications are closed, but I have no option to tell Turbo Tax I don't have a number for it.

Many Thanks in advance!

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Have you called the department in the state responsible for issuing such numbers?

It's entirely possible that the e-filing process set up by Missouri requires this number when you indicate that you have that type of credit, so you couldn't e-file anyway.

Please talk to a human being in the state.

Much appreciated, thank you!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The DED ( Department of Economic Development ) number is an identification number issued by the Missouri Department of Economic Development.  It is located on the certificate of eligibility issued to taxpayers who qualify for certain credits.  

jamesressler
Returning Member

Read all these posts about Missouri DED number. TurboTax is not accepting the Tax Credit Number on the certificate of Tax credit because the value is alphanumeric with 2 group of six numbers. This identifier is more than the 6 characters accepted by TurobTax. The Tax Credit Number on the certificate has this format: AAA-#####-#### where AAA is the tax credit identifier and # are numbers.  I have tried entering the first set of numbers and second set of numbers separately, and TurboTax accepts the number, but I don't know which part of the is valid.

How do I allow Turbo tax to accept this full identifier or which group of six numbers is turbox tax expecting.

This one issue prevents me from filing electronically and delays a refund by several months. 

Jim

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

@jamesressler  According to Missouri it is the last six digits of the number that you enter.

Here is the Missouri MO-TC form with the requirements.

srkbk

I called the Division of Finance and Admin Services in Missouri that issues the certificate.  

They said to use the last 6 digits of the number.

amelia66

Thhe last 6 numbers to what exactly

srkbk

This identifier Tax Credit Number on the certificate has this format: AAA-#####-#### where AAA is the tax credit identifier and # are numbers.  

They said to enter the last 6 digits of the tax credit number on the certificate and include that certificate when filing your taxes. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies