turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DG39
Returning Member

"What if" scenarios and year round access to Turbo Tax with projections

Will Turbo Tax ever produce a version [on-line, preferably] that allows us to maintain our tax information for the current tax year, during the current tax year, so that we can estimate the tax implication for the following April. [For example, I would love to be able to input all my tax information early on in the calendar year (starting in Jan 2021 for my taxes due, April 2022), so that I can determine if stock sales, or independent work, are going to push my over the income thresholds of things like Roth IRA eligibility, or push me into a higher tax bracket, etc.]  I realize that limits and laws may change before taxes are finally due, however, I think we can all agree that 90% of the code doesn't change drastically from year to year.  And TT would simply put in a disclaimer that this is "just an estimate, based upon blah blah blah".  I would also like to be able to save different scenarios of my taxes to show, "what if" I, sell this stock, take a withdrawal from a 401k, buy a new capital expenditure for my business, etc.  And, it would be extremely helpful if TT woud show the difference, side by side of 2 or more files, like they do when they compare "last year's" vs. "this year's" and actually show the gain or loss.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Sunny_Tax_Expert
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @DG39!

Thanks for the suggestion!  While these options may not fit the bill exactly, they work for a lot of customers!

Option1:

For DESKTOP version ONLY
Select 'Forms Mode' - (upper right corner of Step-by-Step screen)
Select 'Open Form'  - (upper LEFT corner (just above "Forms in My Return" click on icon)
Enter "What-if" (without quotes) in the Search field (at top under 'Search or Browse ,,,' heading)
'Double Click' on the "What-if" entry listed in the list of forms below (under 'US Form 1040 ...')

For safety, to protect your return, whenever you are doing things like a 'what-if' compare, it is a good practice to make a COPY of your return and do the 'what-if' exercise on the COPY.

Option2:

You might want to try to create NEW dummy accounts for your various scenarios and then simply abandon them when you are finished.

Create New On-Line account:
Go to turbotax.com and look for the 'New to TurboTax?" 'Start for Free' BLUE button near the top center of the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

with the desktop version, you can create as many versions as you want and save each (by using a different name for the file) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies