turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tankrc

What if I never fill at an allocation worksheet

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

When you are filing two or more state returns, an allocation worksheet tells TurboTax how much income to assign to each state.  If you did not fill out an allocation worksheet, t's possible that one state will tax more of your income than they should,  (But it might even out because the other state is taxing less than it should.)

I recommend you review your state returns and amend them if necessary.

Do you, by chance, mean the Advanced Premium Credit reconciliation worksheet (form 8962)?

If so, failure to complete that form could prevent you from future advance credit payments. I have included two discussions from the IRS on that issue. At a minimum failure to file the 8962 worksheet will result in your refund being delayed.

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/premium-tax-credit-claiming-the-cre...

Failing to file your tax return may prevent future advance credit payments

If advance credit payments are made for you or an individual in your tax family, and you do not file a tax return, you will not be eligible for advance credit payments in future years. This means you will be responsible for the full cost of your monthly premiums. In addition, you may have to pay back some or all of the advance credit payments that are made on behalf of you or an individual in your tax family.

Advance payments of the premium tax credit are reviewed in the fall by the Health Insurance Marketplace for the next calendar year as part of their annual enrollment process.

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics

You must file a return even if you’re usually not required to do so. Filing your return without reconciling your advance payments will delay your refund and may affect future advance credit payments. For more information on filing a return to claim and reconcile the credit see Premium Tax Credit: Claiming the Credit and Reconciling Advance Credit Payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies