Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

What does the program want when it asks for my confidential information stored in "Intuit ID . . . ." in my keychain?

This message is related to Mac users

Please try the following steps:

1. Restart the computer
  2. Start TurboTax 
  3. When it asks for a keychain password, enter your computer screensaver or login password 
  4. Then click "always allow"

"bic1New Member"

If the issue persists, please check out this thread or contact our TurboTax Customer Care for additional assistance: Contact US

@lawfordg 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What does the program want when it asks for my confidential information stored in "Intuit ID . . . ." in my keychain?

Thanks to Mindiw!  Your solution worked!   "Login Keychain Password" = Laptop AdminPasscode.  Then select "always allow".  TurboTax should be ashamed at having put such a cryptic demand when a user first tires to save their work!  

Hey TurboTax, how about changing the cryptic demand for a "Login Keychain Password" to the explanation you provided above--"enter your laptop passcode and select "allways allow"?  Or do you just intend to piss off your loyal long-term customers?

But by selecting allow always aren't you allowing them access to your confidential information? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You would allow them access while you use the software, and the access is granted. You can always revoke access at any time or by changing the password. @dale56 

@Transcon111 wrote:

Thanks to Mindiw!  Your solution worked!   "Login Keychain Password" = Laptop AdminPasscode.  Then select "always allow".  TurboTax should be ashamed at having put such a cryptic demand when a user first tires to save their work!  

Hey TurboTax, how about changing the cryptic demand for a "Login Keychain Password" to the explanation you provided above--"enter your laptop passcode and select "allways allow"?  Or do you just intend to piss off your loyal long-term customers?

My installation of Turbotax never asked for my keychain password, but I installed it while logged in as an admin and I probably had to provide my password or fingerprint to authenticate.  I don't know why some people experience being asked several times, there may be a fault in the installation or maybe they installed it while logged into a non-admin account.

Also, the demand for a keychain password is coming from the Mac OS, not Turbotax, so Turbotax can't change the wording.  Your Mac is asking whether you give permission to the Turbotax software to access certain functions that the Mac OS considers secure.  

Why should I be forced to grant Turbo Tax access to my confidential information ever? 

And I would guess it's illegal to sell a product and then force the customer to grant access to confidential information if they want to use the product with out telling them this is a requirement up front.

@dale56 wrote:

But by selecting allow always aren't you allowing them access to your confidential information? 

The Mac OS is asking whether or not Turbotax has permission to perform certain functions that the Mac considers secure or sensitive.  It has nothing to do with sending your confidential financial information to either Apple or Intuit.  (Apple asks because, if a program you never heard of is asking for secure access, it might be malware.)

For example, Turbotax needs write-access to your Documents folder at all times or else it can't save changes to your tax return data file.  However, Turbotax only needs access to the camera if you want to load your W-2 from a photo, and after you are done with that, you can disable camera access in the Mac Privacy control panel.  Turbotax asked me for access to my calendar, probably so it can post reminders of upcoming deadlines--I don't need that so I didn't allow it.  

@dale56 wrote:

And I would guess it's illegal to sell a product and then force the customer to grant access to confidential information if they want to use the product with out telling them this is a requirement up front.

Apple/Mac is protecting you by restricting access to certain secure computer functions unless you authorize it.  It has nothing to do with sending personal information to Apple or Intuit.  You prove that Turbotax is authorized to access these functions by entering an admin password. 

Separately, you might be asked by the program if you want to share personal data with Intuit for marketing purposes.  You can say no, but this has nothing to do with your keychain.  (This is a complicated bit of legal fiction.  Obviously at some level, the Turbotax program must access your tax information and transmit it to the IRS.  But Intuit is not allowed to "peak" at your information for marketing purposes, such as to offer you an IRA, credit cards or other products, unless you give permission.  But as I said, this is completely separate from the Mac keychain, which is only about your Mac restricting program access to secure functions unless you authorize it.)

Correct. It does not work

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

What part does not work? Also, what is the error you receive if it does not work? @chuck_connell 

When you pull down the FILE menu, TurboTax asks for the key vault password, but then no password will work. The whole program is frozen and you cannot do anything. This is a bug. I can tell you for sure, I am a software developer. Please fix and issue a new release.

If you need a screenshot I can provide it. 

[name removed]

Bedford, MA

[email address removed]

[link removed]

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

The vault is where the documents you uploaded are stored. 

How do I get access to My Docs?

Try updating the software and try again to access your documents. 

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)
@chuck_connell

I have not stored any documents, I am using the installed, downloaded version. I am on a Mac.

Also, no password at all is accepted. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies