turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

charshycs

What does state tax due mean .? When telling me how much I’m getting.?

When reading how much I’m getting on my tax refund  it says federal refund  this much $ xxx.xx and  state due xxx what dose state due mean ? Do I owe? Ar s that o much I’m getting?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

"Tax due" is not how much you are getting back--it is how much you owe and need to pay by the due date of July 15 2020.

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
slowarm
Returning Member

OK. First Federal (US) income taxes are one type of taxes you must file. Second, most states have state income taxes that you must also file.  Depending on how much income you had, how much deductions were taken from your paychecks for each, you could possibly get a refund from one and could possibly have to pay more taxes to another.  Example:

Federal tax refund: $200  (this is money taken from your paychecks that was more than your final taxes due - you would get this back from the Feds).

State taxes owed: $100 ( this means not enough money was taken from your paychecks to cover your final state taxes due - this is money you owe the state).

The two are actually filed with two different governments.  Turbo tax just allows you to file both using the same program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies