turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you do for 1099-B box 14. Its empty on the form, but we can't move forward with it empty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What do you do for 1099-B box 14. Its empty on the form, but we can't move forward with it empty.

Does form 1099-B show information in box 15 or box 16?

Do you know which state needs to be entered?

If so, you can put the state reference there that is required.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea which state is supposed to be entered. Box 15 and 16 are also empty.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Box 14, 15 & 16 are provided for your convenience only and need not be completed for the IRS. Use the state information boxes to report payments for up to two states. Keep the information for each state separated by the dash line.

If you withheld state income tax on this payment, you may enter it in box 16. In box 14, enter the abbreviated name of the state. In box 15, enter the filer's state identification number. The state number is the filer's identification number assigned by the individual state.

IRS Instructions 1099-B

Edluyong

There is nothing on those boxes and I don't know what state to put.

Leave boxes 14, 15 & 16 completely blank ... not even a zero. 

tonyam17

I have 1099-B where box 14 and 15 (State name and Sate identification no.) are both blank, however TurboTax will not let me Efile without something in that box. I attempted to put my state abbreviations in there, and it only takes numbers not letters??? What do I do to Efile, I've already been charged?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

If you have not already resolved the issue, one possible option is to go back to the Investment Income main category and select Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, etc.  Click Edit on the Your Investment sales summary screen.  You might have to select edit again but when you see the list of your transactions, select the edit tool (the pencil icon) to get to the sales summary screen for a transaction.  If the box I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter is checked, uncheck it.  See if that will clear the error. 

@tonyam17

This is an uncorrectable error. The field takes numeric values for the state. I've tried to uncheck the I have more boxes on my form (it wasn't checked in the first place) and I still can't get past this. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Box 14, 15 & 16 are provided for your convenience only and need not be completed for the IRS. Use the state information boxes to report payments for up to two states. Keep the information for each state separated by the dash line. See the instructions at the link below.

If you withheld state income tax on this payment, you may enter it in box 16. In box 14, enter the abbreviated name of the state. In box 15, enter the filer's state identification number. The state number is the filer's identification number assigned by the individual state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies