turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"We can't e-file your return" Error message on form7203 when efiling, but says I MUST efile, therefore impossible to submit?

I am attempting to ammend my return. It says I MUST efile and I can't send it in because my original return was efiled...

However when I go to e-file, it gives me the below error, that says "We can't e-file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/Form7203.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again".

I restarted. I went back and looked at form 7203 (its there, good as new) . No idea what to do at this point if I can't fix it, can't e-file, and can't paper file. Anyone have any tips on how to either get around this error or to get help from intuit?

2022-04-01 19_57_38-TurboTax Home and Business 2021 - 2021 Fiesinger B Form 1040  Individual Tax Ret.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

"We can't e-file your return" Error message on form7203 when efiling, but says I MUST efile, therefore impossible to submit?

You are not required to Efile an Amended return.  You can print and mail your amended return and attach Form 7203. 

Amended returns are processed separately and can take 12-16 weeks at least to process, and don't 'catch up' to your original return and correct it.

You could try opening Form 7203 in FORMS mode, and linking it to the appropriate K-1, as some users have suggested.  Is there data entered on your Form 7203?  Other users suggested Efiling Federal first, then State. 

Here's more info on Form 7203. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response!

Based on what I see here, Form 7203 appears linked to the K1. Additionally, there was no changes to this K1 on the amendment, so it shouldn't even "need" this 7203 to file the amendment.

any tips on relinking? 

2022-04-02 08_44_04-TurboTax Home and Business 2021 - 2021 Fiesinger B Form 1040  Individual Tax Ret.png

ao1022
Returning Member

I am also having the same issue. I am trying to amend my tax return, and when I go to E-file, I receive an error stating unable to locate the attachment Form7203. I went back to double-check, and it was there with everything filled out. It seems like the only way is to print and mail it in.

Upstateelite
Returning Member

I had the same problem when I tried to send in an amended return on efile - does anyone from TurboTax read these- its a software glitch - needs to be updated

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

According to this TurboTax FAQ When should I file Form 7203?, the software does not support e-filing Form 7203. In the case of an amended return, you can print and mail all necessary pages instead of e-filing. Be sure to use a method that provides tracking so you can prove the date it was mailed.

Also note that, at this time, TurboTax Home & Business has no function to attach a PDF to an e-filed return. Our tech support is aware of this experience and has scheduled an update for a future release, but not in time for the 2021 filing deadlines.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rdb515

Same issue here.  Original e-file sent 7203 just fine.  Need to e-file amended return and it gives an error that it can't find /attachments/Form7203.pdf   I can see it just fine in the Forms view, so it has to be a software glitch in the amended return e-file code in TurboTax.   Please fix this so we can e-file our amended returns.

According to IRS, when you e-File 1040-X, the tax software sends everything again as it would have for your original 1040 e-File had it been correct.

Or, anyway, it's supposed to.

mdh2
Level 1

One more vote wishing solution to problem.  I get "unable to locate...Form7203.pdf" but if I look in form view or preview copy there it is...

I e-filed state and fed originally no problem and I just e-filed amended to Calif, which includes form 7203 so...

TT keeps suggesting I e-file so there's that too.

(I tried deleting the form, then re-created by reporting revised K-1 for the business, entering same data which re-created 7203 but that didn't work either... got same error when trying to file.

Yes I know I can mail, and perhaps will but seems so unnecessary.  (as does form 7203 if you ask me :-))

Ok, just updated, trying to file an amended return because of an amended K-1 from the business.  This bug is still there.  

Oh, and when I go to print the returns for mailing, it specifically says "The following returns have been transmitted.  Don't file returns by mail that have already been transmitted electronically."  So, what is one supposed to do when the software won't transmit a 7203 with an amended return?

@billharrelson 

is 7203 different now due to your amendment?

if NO, it is not required with 1040-X,

delete it.

Yes, revised K-1

Same issue here.  It has been a year since first reported.

brent5
Returning Member

I had the same problem trying to efile 2022 personal taxes (Home & Business); the same message about form 7203.  I googled several versions of the problem over the past few days; one person suggested filing Federal return first and then going back and filing State (CA in our case)......it worked for us.... I think: we didn't get the message that we couldn't efile, and when we checked our filing status, it showed "Pending" for both Federal and State.  Might be worth a try.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies