Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

US govt postponing April 15 tax payment deadline by 90 days. My Turbotax return elected to pay balance due by Direct Debit on April 14th. How do I extend it out 90 days?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

US govt postponing April 15 tax payment deadline by 90 days. My Turbotax return elected to pay balance due by Direct Debit on April 14th. How do I extend it out 90 days?

This has only been announced this morning. We have to wait a few days to have detailed instructions from the IRS on the application of this measure.

The extension for filing your tax return and paying your tax due without interest and penalties to July 15, 2020 has now been confirmed.

For State updates, please read this TurboTax blog for more information.

Edited  03/24/2020  |  12:24 PM PST 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

@Klairc13 wrote:

The system says "Don't file returns by mail that have already been transmitted electronically."  It won't let me change it from electronic to mail.

If you e-filed your 2019 tax return with a payment for the federal taxes owed then the payment will have to be canceled if you want to change the payment date.

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

This has only been announced this morning. We have to wait a few days to have detailed instructions from the IRS on the application of this measure.

The extension for filing your tax return and paying your tax due without interest and penalties to July 15, 2020 has now been confirmed.

For State updates, please read this TurboTax blog for more information.

Edited  03/24/2020  |  12:24 PM PST 

jeflyer

Yes, many of us are in this situation of needing to delay the date the IRS takes funds from our accounts.  Hopefully, TurboTax will send out an update with a solution to extend the automatic deduction date to July 15.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I suggest you change it to mailing in the payment. 

Klairc13

The system says "Don't file returns by mail that have already been transmitted electronically."  It won't let me change it from electronic to mail.

@Klairc13 wrote:

If you e-filed your 2019 tax return with a payment for the federal taxes owed then the payment will have to be canceled if you want to change the payment date.

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

jeflyer

Postponing a pre-authorized electronic payment is simple. Click the IRS link below, use their 800 number to call an IRS agent who will quickly handle it for you. Be prepared to give your SSN, bank account routing and account numbers, and the exact amount of the payment you previously authorized. The agent will cancel that payment. It will then become your responsibility to make the payment by July 15th. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal#errors

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies