Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update message says unknown publisher Turbotax 2023 Deluxe

When trying to start Turbo Tax it wants to update, but I get a message that isn't good and I haven't received on prior updates.  I didn't let it update.  Also, tried update from within Turbotax tools and get same UAC message. 

Message is a UAC box in yellow and says intuitupdater.exe is from unknown publisher.   This didn't happen on my last update.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies

Turn off your virus program on the computer.  You may also have to turn off Windows Defender if you have a Windows operating system.

I did that but knew it wouldn't work, but said things might have changed since I retired from IT, so gave it a try.  This has to do with software trying to execute that doesn't have a digital certificate or one that hasn't been verified.   I did do an sfc /scannow and my system doesn't have any issues in the MS software. 

BTW I loaded this on 11/25/23  and then did an update that went fine.  Update has date of 11/23/23.

Turbo.jpg

View of 1 of the 2 Certificates, both are not trusted and both have a name that includes TEST.  Strange I did do one update when I loaded software about a month ago.  But now as you can see Microsoft does not have certificates associated with the intuitupdater.exe as trusted.

The certificates are in C: \Program Files \Common Files \intuit\updateservicesv5  Which is the file being executed to do the update and gets the UAC error. 

Went back and looked at some backup images I make ever week of system  I can make a virtual disk of the image and browse it just like its a real disk.  The same certificates were on the Dec 6 2023 backup and are not trusted. 

Need to talk to a technical person- not one of the tax experts. 

Any ideas how to do this?  Maybe I should uninstall and reload, but then I don't know in Intuit would accept the license code again, they would think someone else was using it. 

Just need to talk to a technician and not a tax person.

@diverjer 

Here's the way to get a telephone number during normal daily working hours.  But don't know how/if they will be able to get you to an actual software engineer....guess it's possible:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

You should be able to uninstall/reinstall 4 more times (5 total), but occasionally stuff happens that blocks it, and you end up going thru Customer Support....again.   Haven't seen a rush of other folks with "Unkown Publisher" issues in this forum yet....but maybe too few folks working on this during holidays.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Before I called I did the SuperPatch about 2722,595 kb of data, said it completed successful.  Still after so called SuperPatch installed, it said I needed updates when starting.  I did click on check now for updates on the startup screen and it said yes I needed updates, then got the normal certificate error.  The certificate did not change.   I went and looked at it.  Super patch seems to be same date as what I already had 11/26

Waste of time calling Turbotax, the person said it will always ask you to update.  That is not true, you can click check now or check later.  I have been clicking check now.  I have clicked check now in the past and it will say I am already up to date or I need to update.    She was say it will always update.  Then I could not get her to talk or even say the words about the certificate which is why I called!  I just gave up, all she could say was you have latest version which TurboTax.exe 2023.47.11.26 and WinPerRelease is [phone number removed].  That is what I show my version is, yet it tells me I need to update when I click on check now.  She said it will always say that and I am on latest release.   That was not a phone number it marked out above, is this software run by real people!!! it was a &*)(&)( release number.  I will try it like this WinPerRelease is 023 then there was 000 then there was 0356.  Replace then there was with a .

I don't think they got any software people that know what UAC is or how certificates work. 

Updated all Microsoft software and didn't help, thought it might add a trusted Root Certificate Authorities under  Internet Properties Content Certificates.  Actually I didn't find any trusted certificates  in any of the many categories by Intuit or containing the name Intuit.    At least that program wasn't in untrusted. 

Still this needs resolved Turbotax, how about some help?  I done everything I know except bypass the warning or add the untrusted certificate to the trusted certificate.   Also, why do you send out a certificate with name of test?

@diverjer I did a hard drive search on the C:\ drive of my PC.  There are many files labeled intuitupdate.exe for several years since I use this PC with TurboTax since around 2017.  All the certificates show exactly the same thing as you have posted in your screenshots.  I have no issues whatsoever with any of the TurboTax software I have downloaded and installed on this PC from 2017 to the present.

Suggest you do a complete uninstall of your TurboTax software.  Using an App such as Revo Uninstaller which removes all files and associated system files when uninstalling software.

Are you saying all yours say this when checking file properties?  Right Click- Properties- Digital Signatures-Details-View Certificate "This CA Root Certificate is not Trusted"?  If if they do and they still run without a warning you may have UAC set not to notify you when apps make changes?   The program trying to execute is intuitupdater.exe (has the r on the end)  However there is a program in that directory that is just intuitupdate.exe, but that is not what is attempting to run. 

Looking back I see 4 years of using TurboTax on this computer with no issues like this prior.  What version is your TurboTax.exe, mine is  2023.47.11.26.   I loaded from CD with no problems and then did one update with no problem about un trusted certificate.  That update 2023.47.11.26 must have done something.

I have thought about using Revo to uninstall and reinstall from CD.   Don't know what issues that will cause with licenses.  Would have thought downloading superpatch and running it would have put latest version on PC.  However that proved wrong, after superpatch, it still says there are updates available. 

This is what the program shows for the intuitupdater.exe

intuitupdater.JPG

I am using the TurboTax Premier desktop edition for tax year 2023 version 2023.47.11.26

Same versions, except I have Deluxe.   I think it's all the same software program, they just limit what you can do by your license. 

It would seem you don't have UAC turned on if that is executing  updates without a message asking if you want to continue or not?  

I did go back and look and all prior years Turbotax loaded under c:\ProgramFiles(386)  This year 2023 loaded under c:\ProgramFiles  Don't know if that means anything but wonder? 

Looking back I believe this is first year Turbotax is 64bit.  I looked at 2020, 2021 and 2022 they were all 32 bit.   I should have known that anything under ProgramsFiles(386) is 32 bit.  ProgramFiles hold 64bit applications.  I been retired too long and memory getting bad.  I retired in 2003 after around 38 years in IT system software, mostly all IBM MVS/ESA.  Also was certified Microsoft and Novell.  Worked on Data General computers and what really shows my age did a year contract working on a Univac computer. 

The not trusted notice may not be the problem. I get the same message when viewing the certificates. My desktop deluxe 2023 works fine and gets updates. No UAC errors. I'm an administrator 

only difference I noticed is your dates are September 03, 2023

mine are September 3, 2023 

times are the same 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies