turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mchurch1218
Returning Member

Unemployment

According to TurboTax, I should amend since I could have chosen to use 2019's earned income to receive a bigger refund, and I still have not received any info pertaining to the unemployment tax break, which I should receive a little over $1,000 according to TurboTax. So should I amend or no? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
newenglandpro
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

Hello,

You should wait until you get the tax break on unemployment so you originally filed return is "done" before filing an amendment.  Filing an amendment before the first return is fully processed can result in delays in processing both the original return and the amendment.

Hope this helps! If not reach out to connect again for additional information!

mchurch1218
Returning Member

Unemployment

I understand, will I be able to use 2019's earned income to receive a bigger refund as well? The IRS will automatically adjust that for me? 

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

Hi @mchurch1218 If you are amending to use the 2019 income, I believe you will need to prepare an amended return for this purpose.  I have not found anything stating that the IRS will automatically adjust the returns to use the 2019 income instead of the 2020 income for the EIC credit.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

If you have access to Turbo Tax Live I would suggest setting up a call and getting some assistance to see if you would qualify for a bigger refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies