turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

unemployment refund

I filed my taxes before the changes in the recovery act and so i had taxes taken out of my unemployment payments. i was told that the irs would be issuing checks to pay those taxes back. As of now, i haven't received that payment. i have no way to see if they are even going to issue that payment. i have received my tax transcripts and there is no updated information on it. I have been informed from news sites and the irs site that simple tax returns would be adjusted first, then more complex returns later. Tax return don't get much simpler than mine, and i'm worried that i may have fallen through the cracks somehow. How would i find out if and when i am going to receive this payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ismailm615
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

unemployment refund

Hello @Billybones321  

Sorry to hear that you haven't received your unemployment compensation adjustment. 

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7.
If you didn't include the information there, you may need to file an amended return.

If you haven't received your refund to date, unfortunately there is no tool to track it as with other refunds from the IRS.

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.

In certain cases, an amended return is needed to get the correct adjusted refund. See the IRS article below for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, you can try these instructions:
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

unemployment refund

I did include my unemployment compensation by way of 1099g form. My tax return information was pretty straight forward. How would i know if i need to file and amendment to fix this?

ismailm615
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

unemployment refund

The IRS provided guidance regarding who need to file amendment to get the unemployment adjustment. See below. 

Taxpayers should file an amended return if they:

• did not submit a Schedule 8812 with the original return to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit and are now eligible for the credit after the unemployment compensation exclusion;
  • did not submit a Schedule EIC with the original return to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (with qualifying dependents) and are now eligible for the credit after the unemployment compensation exclusion;
  • are now eligible for any other credits and/or deductions not mentioned below. Make sure to include any required forms or schedules.

Taxpayers do not need to file an amended return if they:

• already filed a tax return and did not claim the unemployment exclusion; the IRS will determine the correct taxable amount of unemployment compensation and tax;
  • have an adjustment, because of the exclusion, that will result in an increase in any non-refundable or refundable credits reported on the original return;
  • did not claim the following credits on their tax return but are now eligible when the unemployment exclusion is applied: Recovery Rebate Credit, Earned Income Credit with no qualifying dependents or the Advance Premium Tax Credit. The IRS will calculate the credit and include it in any overpayment;
  • filed a married filing joint return, live in a community property state, and entered a smaller exclusion amount than entitled on Schedule 1, line 8.

If you need help determining if you should amend your 2020 return, don't hesitate to reach out to us. The link below has information on how to contact TurboTax. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies