turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wilsonmpk
Returning Member

Unable to reconcile Form 8962 result with actual PTC versus APTC credit activity.

Particulars:

TY’21, TT Desktop, 2-Person tax family, no Part IV or V values to report , AGI is $62,237. My ACA plan began on June1, 2021 and ended December 31, 2021

Form Part II (again, only 7 plan months)
Monthly Enrollment Premium: $1,626
Monthly SLCSP: $2,447
Monthly Contribution Amount: $391
Monthly Maximum Premium Assistance: $2,056
Monthly Premium Credit Allowed: $1,626
Monthly Advanced Payment of PTC: $1,626

Line 24 and 25 each total $11,382, so, line 26 equals zero. My expectation was a year-end tax credit of $3,010 (monthly maximum premium assistance of $2,065 less: monthly advanced payment of PTC of $1,626 equals $430 per month of unused credit times 7 months = $3,010), but alas, I get zilch.

My understanding, from multiple statements in the IRS form instructions as well as at the marketplace site, is that the annual eligible amount of PTC credit is first exhausted by advance premium payment credits (monthly) and the unused balance of the annual PTC can then be used to offset year-end tax liability.

I do notice that Part II, column(d) is called “maximum premium assistance” and calculates by subtracting the monthly contribution amount from the SLCSP; and column (e) is called “premium tax credit allowed” and equals the lower of the enrollment premium or the monthly maximum premium assistance.

Why would the “premium tax credit allowed” (e) differ from the “maximum premium assistance” (d)?

I’m sure my problem lies with logic and semantics here, but any assistance with either would be terrific.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Unable to reconcile Form 8962 result with actual PTC versus APTC credit activity.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Contact Support if you cannot get this resolved on this board (or otherwise).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies