turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to file - Check for updates error (Windows)

When clicking to file my returns, it states that an update is needed.  I received the latest updates and it still will not file and continues to alert me to update.  What do I need to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Actually I found the answer myself and downloaded an update patch.  This is where to find it...

1.  Click on Help Center (UL menu bar)

2. Click on Support

3. Enter "Check for Updates" in the search a question or keyword field

4. Scroll down & click on "Manually Update Turbo Tax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business"

5. Under the heading "Turbo Tax 2020 Individual-15.1", Click on #2 to download the 189MB Update

Follow download process instructions.  I reopened the Turbo Tax program and was then able to complete the electronic filing and received a confirmation message.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You may need to clear your browser's cache and delete the cookies stored on your computer. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly.

Please see the below FAQ for instructions on how to clear the cache and delete cookies.  

Clear Cache:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135  

Delete cookies: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

Also, try refreshing your browser and even try using a different browser if the issue persists. If none of these resolve the issue, please contact Customer Support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Actually I found the answer myself and downloaded an update patch.  This is where to find it...

1.  Click on Help Center (UL menu bar)

2. Click on Support

3. Enter "Check for Updates" in the search a question or keyword field

4. Scroll down & click on "Manually Update Turbo Tax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business"

5. Under the heading "Turbo Tax 2020 Individual-15.1", Click on #2 to download the 189MB Update

Follow download process instructions.  I reopened the Turbo Tax program and was then able to complete the electronic filing and received a confirmation message.

spetitt20
Returning Member

I am unable to file my state return.  It's states

there is an error in question 174B??, where if I have a 2nd office, it needs to add up to item 174 A.  I  don't have a 2nd office, so 0 does not work.  The total expense of 1276, does not work either.  Help, I'm stuck.  I was also unable to download 2020 updates as told to under entering a question.  

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@spetitt20 You may want to view your forms and ensure that you did not inadvertently select something that is not true to your tax situation; those steps can be found here

Additionally, you may try the following manual update: Manual Update

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies