Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TX resident deadline on 15 June 2021 - Can I file for extension?

I live in Houston and I understand that due to the freeze we had in TX last February, the residents of this state were given one additional month to file the Federal returns, our dealine is on 15-Jun-21.

I went to the IRS website to attempt filing for extension until 15-Oct-21 and after answering a couple of simple questions the system tells me I am not eligible to file for extension. 

As I am very close to complete the Turbo Tax process for 2020, I already know how much I owe the IRS, however I have a unique situation that required me to complete several forms outside Turbo Tax and I will not have the time to complete those by 15-June. 
What I did, was to log into the IRS system and I made payment of the full amount due for 2020, hoping that when I submit my paperwork I will not be assessed with late fees charges. 
Is there a way to file for extension considering the IRS system insists that I am not elegible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The extension to file a tax return for a Texas resident on or before June 15, 2021 can be only printed and mailed to the IRS, as stated by the IRS -

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

Victims in FEMA Disaster Areas: Mail Your Request for an Extension of Time to File

To request an extension to file your federal taxes after May 17, 2021, print and mail Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.  We can’t process extension requests filed electronically after May 17, 2021.

Find out where to mail your form.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The extension to file a tax return for a Texas resident on or before June 15, 2021 can be only printed and mailed to the IRS, as stated by the IRS -

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

Victims in FEMA Disaster Areas: Mail Your Request for an Extension of Time to File

To request an extension to file your federal taxes after May 17, 2021, print and mail Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.  We can’t process extension requests filed electronically after May 17, 2021.

Find out where to mail your form.

DoninGA,
Thanks a lot for your fast comment/reply; you solved my issue!
I printed and completed Form 4868, attached copy of the payment I made and mailed these to the IRS as noted in the instructions of the Form.
All the best.
WLIX351

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies