turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two W2's due to overflow causing issues with electronic filing.

I have an additional W2 this year due to an overflow for Box 12. This W2 does not have a value for Box 1 so I left it blank, however at the very end the Smart Check is telling me that because this box on my second W2 is $0 I am not allowed to file my taxes electronically. I have not seen this issue in previous years when I filed with TurboTax and I have had 2 W2's because of overflow before. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Do not enter it as two separate W-2s.  Enter them both it as if they were a single W-2.  After entering the W-2 with income in Box 1, add the Box 12 items on the second W-2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If the EIN number is the same and you work in more than 1 state or city, sometimes they will give you another W2 with the extra state information on it and the top part the same or not filled in.  If this is the case, list one W-2 but include both state or local  taxes on it.  It will let you type in more than one line for boxes 15-20.  Don't add the boxes together.  

Same for boxes 12 & 14 if there is no room on the first W2 they can give you another W2 with the extra boxes on it.  So list them all on 1 W2.  For box 12 just enter it in the next row or box.  It doesn't have to match the box 12a-d etc.

How did you enter them in prior years?  Wasn't it this way as 1 W2?

I received the second W2 because there was an overflow on Box 12 (i.e. there are 5 items there and only 4 lines). TurboTax also only provides 4 lines, so I don't really see how I can enter the 5th on my first W2 entry...

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I don't think that is correct.  You can continue to add additional line 12's by selecting + Add another line 12 item.

W-2 Box 12

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using the desktop version, not the online one. There is no option to add a new line in the desktop version.

However, it looks like if I go to the form I can edit one additional line there, so I think that might just solve the problem!

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies