Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax won't let me efile for deceased

Still isn't fixed and still can't e-file a decedent's return. So after spending $$ on TurboTax I'm going to have to file my deceased father's return by mail, paying even more $$ for certified postage. Spent hours on the phone with completely befuddled reps.

BRH
Level 1

I am having the exact same problem and my turbo tax is up date.  It seems to be tied to the fact that a refund is due and program says you can e-file. PS had the same problem last year and eventually i fixed by just applying the refund to next year taxes and it then let me e-file. I cannot do that this year as this is the last year I will file under my mothers EIN.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to follow the instructions here to contact us by phone so we can look into this further. @BRH

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I already spent hours on the phone with three different employees. One told me to update the software, that the problem was fixed. It wasn't. The other two agreed that it's a TurboTax issue. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not the only one who has had this problem. It goes back years and has not been addressed by TurboTax.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you are the surviving spouse of the decedent, Form 1310 is not required.

If you are a Personal Representative and have already sent your court-appointed paperwork to the IRS, Form 1310 is also not needed.  

If this applies, indicate in TurboTax that you are an 'other person claiming a refund' and you may then be able to Efile. 

I am NOT 'other person claiming refund'   I am the court appointed personal representative.  I am not inclined to misrepresent myself to the IRS and I would think that Turbo Tax legal team would have an issue with your recommendation.  I suggest TurborTax just fix the software to allow the efile, instead of providing me with direction that either doesn't work as done previously or is questionable as in this latest direction.  Just fix it or quit providing documentation that says Turbotax can efile a deceased person's final return.

Exactly, Pearls 65! I am the court-appointed executor of my father's estate. Therefore, option B is the correct one. NOT C as TurboTax is recommending. Just because TurboTax can't correct their error, I am not going to file an incorrect return.

As I mentioned before, this is an error going back to at least 2015, when a CPA colleague attempted to e-File her mother's final return and had the same problem.

This "glitch" and others (such as their "work around" for 529 information) is why I do not recommend TurboTax to my clients.

rgoh99

I have the same issue. 

Just FYI.  The AGI for the individual I was filing a return for qualified for the IRS free file program and I was able to e-file using a program (OLT) through this service.  This might be an option for you if AGI is under the max allowed. 

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to let me know about the free e-file. That was very kind of you. Thanks!

I requested a refund for TurboTax desktop and it was rejected since "the product was purchased more than 60 days prior to the request." Of course it was over 60 days - I had to wait for final documents. What a waste of money since, not only could I not e-file my deceased father's final return, as you can see from previous messages TurboTax "experts" were giving incorrect instructions/advice. 

Along with spending hours on the phone with three supposed experts, I spent over $30 to mail his Federal and state returns, and who knows how long the refund will take. The only reason I bought the software was to e-file.

There has been this glitch for years with no resolution.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone so we can better assist you, as we cannot process any refunds here in this public forum. @pmernick1

Per your instructions, I called yet again, wasted another hour on the phone with two different reps. I already sent in a request for a refund which was denied since it was "past 30 days."

I give up. Even though your product doesn't work as stated.

It's March of 2023 and Turbotax still hasn't fixed this glitch!!!! 

It even allowed me to complete both federal and state returns for e-filing, then took me to the page for paying for the state e-filing.  I entered my credit card info and it was accepted.  However, when I returned to actually submit the e-filing, it took me back to the same 1310 loop.

I finally printed and submitted both by mail (so nothing was e-filed). If I see the charges on my credit card, I will dispute them.

It seems the IRS would want to know about this since it is creating paper returns when people should be able to e-file. Paper returns are much more costly to process. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Any fees charged are to utilize the software to prepare your return.  You are not charged a fee for e-filing.  

@nursefergie 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies