turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax without US address

TurboTax doesn't allow registration without a US address. I don't have one. I can use a friend's, but I'm concerned that this will find its way somehow onto my return.

Last year, following a TurboTax employee's advice, I entered a US address for registration, and it changed my return, AFTER I'd completed and reviewed it. The 2015 return has a foreign street address with a US city and state. Has this problem been fixed, or do I need to use a different tax preparation service?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax Federal Free Edition can't be registered or e-filed with a foreign address.  You can always upgrade to a paid product (at a minimum, PLUS) in order to complete your return with a foreign address.  See the info below for e-filing with a foreign address:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301481

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax Federal Free Edition can't be registered or e-filed with a foreign address.  You can always upgrade to a paid product (at a minimum, PLUS) in order to complete your return with a foreign address.  See the info below for e-filing with a foreign address:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301481

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thank you. Since I'm using a free filing product with 0 income, I'll use a different service. I appreciate your fast response.
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

My pleasure.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  FYI:  I'm not a TurboTax employee; I'm a user like you.
cospelero

I used a fake US address, which did not change my address on my tax return. My federal return was accepted within minutes. Still waiting on the state.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The mailing address on your tax return is mainly used when IRS needs to contact you.  For example, if your direct deposit banking information is incorrect and they need to mail you a check.  Or there are any questions on your tax return IRS needs to contact you about.  You could use your friend's address only if you can be contacted. 

@cospelero

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
busycharlie
Returning Member

Hi, I used turbotax free file last year and didn't need a US address. I retired to a foreign country and used that address but when I get ready to finalize and send my return it is asking for a US address to register. What now? 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

TurboTax requires a US address to register.  

busycharlie
Returning Member

I used the free file version last year and it didn't ask for a US address to register. Last year it was easy to use as it was my first time, i used my foreign address and there is a box to identify in you are using a foreign address, but I didn't need to register last year just before sending my file to the IRS. So this must be a new change this year? Why would the software allow people to insert their foreign address, then ask to register before sending the file and only use a US address? Something just doesn't add up.

According to the information from the Free File Program, you should be able to file your return with a foreign address. Here is contact information if you continue not to be able to file.

If you are not successful, you would still be able to file your tax return by mail.

@busycharlie

what if im living in JAPAN?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can e-file your tax return with a foreign address.  See here:  efile with foreign address

However, make sure you have US bank account to receive your tax refund and credit or debit card with US address if you owe to pay.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies