Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JP4TTax

Turbotax Premier Stuck at Activation Window

The same worked for me.  Who'da thunk to check that!?

Thank you very much!

First, I want to thank all those people who posted the screen resolution solution for both getting past the Activation screen and for filing. And congrats to all of us who lucky enough to find this thread and use that solution to get this piece of s*** software to run.

Second, I have managed all aspects of software development for over 30 years at startups and the biggest software companies. From my experience...EVERY SOFTWARE MANAGER, QA MANAGER, PRODUCT MANAGER, PROGRAM MANAGER AND ANY OTHER MANAGER RESPONSIBLE FOR TURBOTAX 2020 SHOULD BE FIRED FOR INCOMPETENCE, AS SHOULD THEIR MANAGEMENT, AND THEIR MANAGEMENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE VP OF ENGINEERING AND THE CEO!!! 

This bug is unbelievable! I have seen software released with a bug this bad before, but I've also seen a quick patch or full new program release to fix it. The fact that Intuit has not made this right and that probably thousands of people have run into the problems caused by this screen resolution bug is inexcusable. I just got lucky to have found this thread after fighting with TurboTax for hours.

Needless to say, after using TurboTax for most years over the last decade, these incompetent SOBs will never get another penny from me.

sungod

I also have a Dell Inspiron(new).  Changed the display settings to 1366X768.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks. Ya'll saved my bacon. This was for TubroTax Premier 2020.  I also deactivated my Mcafee firewall. Things be crazy nowadays.

MJK57

Thank You! It worked

JudyP6

@gaillaustx  Please thank your wise husband for me as well.  And you for sharing!  

kunal880

I purchased the 2020 turbo tax and got the white screen during activation. I read all the replies on this forum and tried using all the different  screen resolutions on my laptop. Nothing was working. So then I thought I just can't see the activation box but it is there. So I moved my mouse pointer around the white screen and then noticed that the pointer changed from the arrow to the "input" icon so I started to enter my activation code. Then moved the mouse around again near the bottom of the screen and noticed that the mouse pointer changed again to the hand with the pointed finger so I knew that was a button. The whole time I couldn't see what was being typed or what I was clicking on but thankfully it worked and TurboTax launched. 

jqzimm

I always look for the simplest advice and who would think that changing the display would work, but it did.  Now I would like my three hours back that my husband and I spent trying to resolve this issue.  Thanks to you I can help my friend file their tax return

AtlzBest
Returning Member

I can confirm that the "stuck on activation" on my "Home and Business 2020" was due to using pi-hole (Whole house VPN). So make sure your computer or network is not using any VPN or try turning on a VPN. This is network related for me.

I did lower my dual monitor setup to 800x600 but that did nothing for me.

thomasyoungblood
Returning Member

Thanks. This also worked for me. It allowed me to enter the activation code. I also found that you can switch the display back after you have activated the program and it will open normally.

pfred00

You saved my tax season. I spent hours installing, uninstalling, changing browsers, deactivating vpn and anti virus, etc etc. intuit could have facilitated this and it’s disappointing that they have not as many people are clearing wasting valuable time individually searching for solutions. 

thanks for sharing this solution!

w95404

In addition to changing the resolution, you must turn off your VPN.  Thanks for the screen resolution tip.  Turbotax fix this bug!!!

Wow, what a simple fix for such a very frustrating situation.  I changed my resolution and my scaling size and TT2019 finally downloaded onto my computer.  Thanks SO much for the tip! 

vbwilks
Returning Member

Same issue--new computer unable to see the activation window. Thank goodness for this thread as it helped me get through it, but I did want to add a step I had to take.

After taking the resolution down to a low setting, I was able to see the activation window, but I could not see anything being typed into the code blank. Even though you can't see it, it should still be there, so go ahead and hit Submit. After hitting submit, it didn't look like anything happened. I changed resolution to a different low setting and it showed the success screen.

l2george

What a stupid (and very frustrating) problem.  This worked.  Thank your husband for me.

hammurabi

Thanks for the hint! I can confirm that this bug has not been resolved for Turbotax 2021. Also, after I had changed the resolution and was able (at last!) to see the activation screen, there was no cursor visible in the box where the key was to be entered. However, I entered the license code blind, it was accepted, and I was able to continue successfully.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies