Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax Premier Stuck at Activation Window

Thank you so much! This took 1 minute and worked right away. 

Just an FYI that you'll need to change the screen resolution again (and reboot) before the required login to e-file, at least I did to pay the $20 for the state e-file (cause I didn't keep my computer in the low-res setting after activation). You get the same hang on the login screen when filing.  I'd recommend saving when you get to the e-file step, change back to the low screen resolution again and reboot, then go back and file. Maybe they'll fix this for the 2021 tax year?

Thank you! I appreciate the heads up just in case it happens when I e-file. I spent 3 hours trying to activate, changing firewalls,  calling a rep for help, searching through the Community all before I re- worded my question and  found this thread. Changing the resolution was a simple fix and surely the reps should be informed. However, the rep who worked with me for an hour was patient and knowledgeable. She simply wasn't informed about this glitch. 

AU_Aubie_Dad
Returning Member

Changing the resolution of the screen worked... Not sure why.  I would recommend the software team at turbotax figure out why their code can't work on standard 1920x1080.  

CMNDCTRL
Returning Member

Thank you! You saved me several hours of frustration looking into how to resolve this. This was the same for me with a BRAND NEW, fresh out of the box HP Spectre. Dumbed down the resolution and it worked.

I can't thank you enough! I had just gotten to the point where I was ready to print out everything when I ran into this problem.

(I even once got a screen asking for my purchase id and it asked for the 10 character license -  not the 14 that came with the 2020 TurboTax!) I  lost my first attempt at doing taxes but I'm hopeful that the second go-round will do the trick.

Lautis
Returning Member

Just had this issue with TT20 premier. It installed and activated just fine on my PC but failed to activate on the notebook. I have Yoga 9i 14. I am not sure if this will work for everybody but I changed resolution from 4k to 1366x768 and activation worked like a charm. I can now also use TT20 on standard resolution.

Be sure to go back to the low res and re-boot when you're at the e-file stage cause you'll need to log in to the account again.  At least I had to on my Yoga 9i.

Thank you for posting this. It actually resolved my problem.

Boat491

I did the usual - reboot, reinstall, run compatibility mode, etc. Nothing. Reduced resolution to 1366 x 768. Didn't work then also reduced scale to 100 %. SUCCESS! Reverted to my original settings 1920 x 1080 & 150% and continues to run. Yay!

Wildman59

I changed the screen resolution as suggested and it worked for me too.

I can hardly believe that the screen resolution was creating all these issues but I as well purchased a brand new computer in January and this is the first time I've been able to get the program to activate.

Thanks

gshankara

Changing the screen resolution DID NOT Work for me. I tried all the available resolutions in my laptop ( 12-13 available)  However, I paused my VPN,   Restarted TT and was able to get the activation window.  I was able to enter the activation code and proceed.

shodansam

Same issue with stuck on the Activation screen.  After making sure my OS was current, etc., I  tried the display size change suggested below.  It worked!  I then set my display back to where it should be and things seemed to still work.  What a bush league bug.  Nothing for the Intuit development team to be proud of.  

llad24
Returning Member

When I changed the resolution it kind of worked for me, I got the 16 license code window but nothing was typing.  At least I couldn't see it but I typed the code even though I couldn't see it and hit activate at the bottom and it worked, then change my resolution back to the recommended one.

Thanks to you and your husband changing the display worked for me too. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies