turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kan2
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbotax is only importing half of my Ally Bank 1099-INT's available when I compare them with the hard copies provided by the bank.

Same problems--data for only two of three accounts are coming across.
mbk1
Level 2

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbotax is only importing half of my Ally Bank 1099-INT's available when I compare them with the hard copies provided by the bank.

Same issue--Turbotax only imports first two of my several Ally Bank accounts.  Realized it almost accidently and stumbled on this post from last year.  Astonishing that this could go on so long uncorrected.  I suspect that I missed this last year and had an incorrect number on my taxes for interest.  Turbotax needs to disable import from Ally if it is not going to work right
daria

STILL BROKEN WTF
jdemarchi

Having the same issue here. It's troubling, and leaves me less confident that TurboTax is actually doing what it claims – getting the best available refund.

Yup, even with TT you still have to compare the hard copy documents to what gets imported.  But then again, TT not reporting income is certainly one way to get the best refund ;]  No tax on money you don't report.  

On one of my 1099-Div from an investment in JP Morgan Chase holding reported the income from the investment not as a dividend but instead as a 1099-MISC.  They didn't send me a 1099-MISC, but it was reported near the end of my 1099-DIV/INT/B from the brokerage.  I had to manually enter the 1099-MISC because TT didn't import it.  

JPMORGAN CHASE & CO ALERIAN MLP INDEX, AMJ, 46625H365

yup - 2018 ALLY - January 2019 - still a problem

I have my TT2018, and ALLY just released their 1099-INT forms.
The issue is that the forms have a 1st page with account info, then a 2nd page with all the boilerplate text, followed by the 3rd/4th pages for the other accounts.
I've felt in past years that TTax gets tripped up by the boilerplate page and STOPS looking for any other data accounts - so you ONLY get to IMPORT what's listed on the 1st page -

We will see how the 2018 Import goes - as of January 2019
Just tried the 2018 import from ALLY - and yeah, as of Jan 24, 2019 - still a problem....
Only imported the accounts on the 1st page - and nothing from page 3,4

Thanks for letting us know this is still a problem in 2018. I guess I'll have to get TaxCut if I don't want to enter manually.  This is the 3rd year this has been a problem. You would think it would have been fixed by now.
broflcwa
Returning Member

2019 taxes:  TTax brought down 2 of 4.  I called Ally to explain this glitch.  Ally help/support is usually Grade A, IMHO.  However, their answer here was that it's a TurboTax issue.  I think Ally should do their customers a favor and consult with Intuit to see if there is a resolution on either the Ally or TTax side.  Some faithful Ally customers won't notice the missing interest and might be flagged by the IRS for a incomplete/incorrect return. Ally disagree with me.

mbk1
Level 2

Absolutely inconceivable that this has been allowed to persist for years.  Must have resulted in thousands of incorrect tax returns, subjecting many to penalties, interest and lots of inconvenience.  Clearly, neither TurboTax nor Ally cares.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You may want to delete the 1099 INTs in TurboTax and retry importing again. If all fails, you may want to manually enter the interest statements in TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi VictorW9, thanks for the response but it really doesn't address the issue.  Deleting the imported items and trying again doesn't fix the issue.  The issue is experienced by many as is documented in this thread.  There is a technology disconnect between Ally and Turbo Tax that needs to be addressed.  Manually entering everything, while always an option, does not resolve the underlying issue  -  a rather silent error that can impact you during an audit!!

As I mentioned a few years ago - when I first encountered this - it's a problem with TTax....

It appears that they only "see" the 1st page of the 1099 and whatever is listed on that page is "imported".

Next page - is the text info sheet - and TTax appears to STOP on that page, thinking there are no more data elements as the text info page is usually the last page.... SO - TTax nevers "sees" the pages AFTER the text info page.  

Therefore - whatever accounts are listed PRIOR to the 1099 text info page are imported, and those listed AFTER the 1099 text info page are NOT seen, and therefore NOT imported.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, these kind issues arise when trying to configure disparate systems to interact with each other. I bet TurboTax is now aware of the problem and will work to fix it. Also, I'm referring this issue to the quality department for further investigation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have this issue also.  But it's not just Ally Bank.  I have the same problem with TD and Fidelity and it's been going on for years.  Worse, the imports will bring in some data but I since it's not complete, I have to delete the partial import and reenter the data manually.  Double productivity loss here since not only do I have to perform rework manually, I also have to clear all import debris in order to continue.

:( 

C'mon TT!  This is a simple integration issue!  Get it together!!!!

broflcwa
Returning Member

I'm guessing that the problem is that the Combined INT is on the last page of the Ally statement and because of that, it is not picked up by TTax import.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies