Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brickly1
Returning Member

Turbotax is not accepting the Coinbase transaction csv. How can I format the CSV correctly for free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax is not accepting the Coinbase transaction csv. How can I format the CSV correctly for free?

Coinbase no longer supports a direct import of a CSV file into TurboTax from their site which has resulted in an error message for some users. Instead, Coinbase is relying on a 3rd party, CoinTracker, as an option to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file. 

For more information, including a link to CoinTracker, please see this TurboTax Help Article:

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
elonmusck9877
Returning Member

Reported to bbb and ftc. Everyone do the same! Intuit has been abusing it's monopolistic power for way too long. The gov already knows how much we owe, but Intuit keeps on lobbying to keep filing tax complicated and difficult so it can stay in business and make billions from our time and suffering. how many lifetimes do we collectively waste every year just from typing W-2s into turbotax? and now we can't even report bitcoin transactions without stabbing ourselves in the left eye. We have no choice to but to file with Intuit or hr block and they know it. Watch hasan minhaj's episode "why doing taxes is so hard". Intuit provides 0 value to the society and should cease to exist. 

https://twitter.com/hasanminhaj/status/[phone number removed]7380225?lang=es

brickly1
Returning Member

I have bought crypto on Coinbase. I but never sold or exchanged it for other coins. I have only held the coins that I have bought in 2020. How do I report this on my taxes? Websites such as CryptoTrader.tax gave me a csv file after calculating my transitions. But the CSV file is empty. This also happens with bitcoin.tax. What should I do?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Nothing, if you have not sold, traded, or spent any of the cryptocurrency in a transaction, then there is nothing required to be reported on your tax return. 

Simply purchasing and holding a cryptocurrency is not a taxable or reportable transaction.  If you sold, traded, or spent cryptocurrency in any amount, then you do have a transaction that must be reported on your return.  

@brickly1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies