Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Easy Extension incorrect calculation

This is pretty straightforward. There is (was?) a simple calculation error in Easy Extension. My estimated total tax liability (line 4) is $4000. My total 2021 payments (line 5) is $4780.  Balance due should be negative $780 but this printed as positive $780. Minus sign or parentheses are missing.  Not a big deal, I’m sure, but an error nonetheless.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

I was expecting someone from TurboTax to at least acknowledge and explain.  Has this error been corrected before others experience the same?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reporting this to us. If you think you're not going to owe any taxes, there will be no need to submit an estimated payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand that. Was just trying to report an error in TurboTax calculation. I’ve attached a pic of what TT submitted. Pretty clear and simple to see the error.

Hello AkinaLO,

I received the same wraparound error on my 2021 extension just now.  My "Total 2021 Payments" are greater than my "Estimate of total tax liability for 2021" yet TurboTax filed a positive "Balance due" with the IRS.

I am getting a refund, not making an estimated payment.  However, the form indicates to the IRS that I owe them and will likely make an estimated payment.

I would like confirmation from Intuit that the error TurboTax has made when filing this form to the IRS will not result in penalties or an increased chance of audit.

Thank you!

pmc3
Level 1

I can't believe that the Turbotax Easy Extension software calculation has not been corrected yet. It was reported to you on April 3 and it happened to me tonight on April 17. Will the IRS reject an extension form that says tax is due when, in fact, the actual amounts on lines 4 & 5 show no tax due. Your software created a calculation error. Is the IRS going to accept my 2021 Form 4868 with this math error that your software created? You owe us an answer please.

I got this same error on April 16th. I have the desktop version of Turbotax Premier for 2021 taxes. I selected the option to file my extension and the form 4868 was correct there. But, I would have had to mail it in and elected to use the Turbotax Easy Extension. Big mistake. When I printed out what was submitted, I had the same problem everybody else here mentioned. It was wrong and showed a payment due instead of correctly showing there was no payment due and I should be receiving a refund. It was quickly accepted by the IRS. I guess I'll have to see what happens. This is truly outrageous and now I'm glad that even though I was basically done with my taxes, I wanted to run them by somebody locally to double check them before filing, as this is the first time I've used Turbotax to file.

@AkinaLO This problem occurred for me too. Does the calculation error indicate a security breach? Was Intuit.com or TurboTax Online forged?

While I believe that I filed an extension by entering the data via Intuit with Easy Extension, I was never asked to sign in to my account. I filled in the data correctly but when I view the printable 4868 copy, the math is incorrect.

Either Intuit doesn't understand how to program a form so that dollar amounts less than zero are listed as "0", they didn't bother to program it display correctly on the PDF version, or someone fooled a bunch of us into entering our most valuable PII into a forged website made to imitate Intuit's. I'm happy to share a screen clip of the 4868 PDF as it looks to me on a Mac (without my personal info of course).  Perhaps this link will work: https://imgur.com/a/us4yMcp 

jax49

I filed my extension 4/18/22 and am also in a refund situation however the extension form was submitted showing payment due.  

(At least with mine) I’m sure the website was valid.  I also know that they know how do do this right since Turbo Tax on my pc yields the correct calculation.  I used Easy Extension because, for some reason TT Desktop does not have an electronic filing option, only print and mail.  Someone must be embarrassed tho, since the pic of the error that I posted here disappeared the following day!

BVan
Level 1

I had the same thing happen when I filed an extension.  Then I tried to submit another one and that one was rejected saying that a return has already been filed.  Now I'm late filing my extension!  Now it is rejected!  I didn't submit a return. I submitted an extension. I don't know what to do next.

This is unbelievable.  What kind of company doesn't have a quality control to check something that is as important to it's users as a tax return? Especially, after it has been pointed out to them.

I absolutely cannot believe this!

Hi @BVan - I think you will be okay with IRS, as long as you submitted the first extension on time. Hopefully you received an email from Intuit that your (first, incorrect) extension was accepted by IRS. Even if the numbers are incorrect, the extension should still save you from any potential late penalties.  

By posting and tagging the TurboTax employee, I was hoping to give an example of how this type of bug reduces trust, causes real alarm, and ultimately affects the TurboTax brand. (Honestly, it made me wake up next day panicked that I'd been phished, and now realizing Intuit knew about this bug that caused my fear.)

BVan
Level 1

Honestly, I am very concerned that my identity may have been stolen. Each extension was rejected with "What happened?

R0000-902-01 - Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Now I'm late.  I'm not sure why I got the message the first time I submitted it.  I was a systems analyst in banking.  There is no way that an error like that would have been allowed.

I am not really comfortable using TurboTax now.  

Leuca

I'm experiencing something like this except my extension is listing my tax liability as the same amount as my ENTIRE income for the year. As a low-income person, this is frightening and makes me really question whether or not I should trust turbotax to help me file again next year.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Have you already filed your return for this year? @Leuca 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies