TurboTax Deluxe 2018 crashes constantly on Windows 10

All - I just figured out a solution to my problem.  It turns out, it wasn't Windows 10 or Turbotax that was the problem.  To fix it, I opened Event Viewer (Windows Logo - Typed "event viewer" without the quotes).  Open the Windows Logs and select Application.  You will find a bunch of events there.  I opened TurboTax and repeated the steps to the crash.  Go back to Event Viewer, and on the right-hand side of the screen, you will see an option to filter the events (in my case, I had over 49,000 events). 

Select the option to Filter Current Log and select Errors only.  Look for an Application Error right around the time that you replicated the error.  Select that with a single mouse-click.  In the General tab, underneath the list of events, you will see details of the crash.  Again, in my case, I had the following (red text to highlight:

Faulting application name: TurboTax.exe, version: 2018.31.20.242, time stamp: 0x5c7d3ef4
Faulting module name: SDHook32.dll, version: 2.7.64.2, time stamp: 0x557e9f6a
.

.

.

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Premier 2018\32bit\TurboTax.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDHook32.dll
Report Id: 8bf48897-d721-4cef-841c-967e6db40e60

Performing a quick Google search allowed me to identify that SDHook32.dll is the culprit of a number of problems with similar software programs.  In this case, SDHook32 is the Live Protection element of  SpyBot Search & Destroy.  Since I have multi-layered AV protection, I was able to just disable the Live Protection element.  

Note:  On SpyBot's page, there are some instructions on how to whitelist applications to prevent this from occurring.  I just chose the easiest option.

I rebooted my PC, and now TurboTax works fine.

P.S. Before any of you ask, no I do not work for TurboTax, Microsoft, or Spybot.  I was just a frustrated user.

Great fix! I'm only an intermediate level computer user and was completely frustrated  that Turbotax 2018 was crashing repeatedly. After searching for 2 hours, I found PhoenixAF24's post. The fix worked perfectly.

I’m having issues with the software this year as well. Mine are related to the prior year information and forms being pulled in to help with this year. First, a random $500 of interest was carried over into 2018 and it took a technition and me about an hour to resolve since there was no interest reported yet in 2018. Now it’s doubling up expenses in my investments making me think last years return is now incorrect. These errors have required me to go into the background of the software and delete individual forms to fix the issue. I’m really starting to think I should start over with different software because I am losing confidence in my return.

For your peace of mind it might be worth the cost to use H&R Block tax program and see if it agrees with what you have from TT - go here - https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/

Yep, turbo tax is COMPLETE junk this year.  I've used them for years but I'm done with them forever.  They are over- priced and now after starting my taxes on the "deluxe" software the system is crashing and I can't log back in to finish up.  Not my computer or internet since I can log in to other websites. I can log in on phone with 4G but impossible to due my more complicated taxes on my phone.  Glad I didn't pay yet.  Since it won't let me finish and taxes are due tomorrow  I filed a free extension on IRS.gov   Thanks Turbo Tax!

Similar issue with Windows 8.1.2 but, I de-installed my Safer-Networking (Spybot S&D) and all is well except no antivirus program until I filed my tax returns. Now I must reinstall antivirus software app.

99% completed my 2018 tax return.  Have not received the last info from the accountant.

My computer is updated to Win 10.  Loaded TT 2018.  Loaded completed tax forms are on the computer.

Seems good but when I open a file it asks for my state info.  It is already on the return.

But it will not allow me to continue unless I enter the state.  I am afraid to do that with out it messing up my tax return.

Please tell me what to do.

I also like to update previous year's return but see the same difficulty.