Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax data is missing after update

I filled out all my information for my 2020 return back in mid-March. Today, on April 1, I updated turbotax and data is "missing". I have waited to file due to the unemployment income tax guidance.

My Federal Tax Due swung thousands just from the update - because it thinks I haven't paid any income taxes anymore

My estimated taxes paid is shown as $0, but when I click in, the entries for the estimated taxes I paid appear. I click that I'm done, but the main Deductions page still shows $0.

My charitable donations is shown as $0, but when I click in, the entries that I previously entered appear. I click done, but again the deductions still shows $0.

My rental property information has all disappeared, but again when I click in, the information is mostly saved, though some are gone.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In a strange twist - I closed turbotax, and instead of continuing a return, I found the return file on my computer, opened that, and the information is back.

But when I open turbotax first, and chose "continue a return", it still shows the incorrect data!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

In a strange twist - I closed turbotax, and instead of continuing a return, I found the return file on my computer, opened that, and the information is back.

But when I open turbotax first, and chose "continue a return", it still shows the incorrect data!

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please make sure that you are logging into the desktop software each time and are not going online - this may be causing the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This comment makes no sense to me - I'm only using desktop and I said I had to install updates.

Still...once opened again, do a "Save" right away.....to make sure it gets saved with the full data set.

It's possible that you had the same file it two different directory locations.....and the one you originally opened was an older version in a different directory 

You can also do a "SaveAS" to see where that file is really going to be placed.   IF you do search your computer, and find the same filename in two different locations...change the name on one....or delete the wrong one (if you are SURE it's the wrong one).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The data was saved, as when I clicked into each section, the numbers were there. Just changed to 0 on the overview page. As I stated in my original message, I tried clearing out a number and retyping that, and clicked "Done" and it still didn't get saved to the overview page.

EDIT: Save As brought me to where the file was stored and a full computer search only revealed 1 file. Plus the time stamp from the "continue return" matched the timestamp as the file in the file folder.

I'm just going to mark my workaround as best answer as it lets me continue, though doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

No...that doesn't make sense 

(the two files I was talking about was referring to the possible difference between Continuing a tax return in the opening page vs. opening it directly from the file in the directory.

I don't know if anyone has experienced that or not.  

1) make sure the file is ONLY located on your system hard drive......not on a flash drive, not on a cloud drive.

2) IF on a Windows system, you could try a manual update, and then see what happens:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

(manual updates take a while to install...at least they used to.  Download it, start it up and walk away for 20 min or so.  Might have to use Edge to download it..my Chrome won't download it)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I understood you and I agree, it makes no sense why this would happen because everything seems to indicate it's the same file - same time stamp, same information (at least saved in the actual questions), no other files, same SaveAs location. No flash drives/cloud drives are in use, so can't be those.

You might be on to something with the update, as the update is what caused the issue in the first place. Though I can't test that anymore since this last time I opened the file directly seemed to "stick" and updated the Continue tax return to have the correct numbers now. Took a couple of times with the different opening methods, which REALLY doesn't make any sense as no other updates have been installed.

I did an update an it deleted my entire 2020 file. I've looked everywhere for it.

Horrible software

That's terrible - this was a different issue as my file wasn't lost, so I think you should create a separate ticket

I also lost my existing return - twice - after installing updates. It just happened again today. I found my prior return in the trash folder. At the conclusion of the update procedure, TT asks if you want to move the dmg files to the trash (I'm using a mac) and I said yes. I believe it also moved my current tax form, in progress, into the trash because that's where I just found it. 

Ies
Returning Member

I agree. And it hasn't been fixed yet 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies