Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2023 bug with Form 8615 Schedule D Worksheet lines 44-47

Gary,
That was the same error I was getting before the most recent update. Try to update the program, close TurboTax, then reopen it. You might go as far as shutting off the computer and turning it back on, and then running TurboTax to be sure the program closed before reopening it.

~Rolan

Praise the Gods, thank you Rolan.   I looked for a software update (none needed), deleted the 8615 form, its worksheet, and restarted the computer.  After adding in the data, and waiting a while by going between Form Mode and Easy Step.. the correct numbers started showing up.

Unfortunately, this problem reappeared once TurboTax did the final review, and need to added filing status on 8615.   I tried the same approach (delete form, restart).. and also tried with a fresh return.   At this point, I'll wait until TurboTax issues a software update.   Thank you for the help.

I am still running into this problem and am still waiting on a TT fix. However, I think I can explain why some people see this as fixed and others see it as not fixed. There are 2 pages to the Form 8615 Schedule D Worksheet - the first for the child and the second for the family. It appears the problem is fixed on the Child's page/page 1 (Child's Line 15 Schedule D Tax Calculation), but it is NOT fixed on the Family page/page 2 (Family's Aggregate Line 9 Schedule D Tax Calculation). 

On the latest TT (desktop), I tested this theory it works as I describe. If you get Line 21 to be 0, causing Line 44 to be blank, the Child's calculation (page 1) on Line 47 is correct. Do the same thing on the Parent's calculation (page 2) and Line 47 is wrong, as described in the original post. 

Hopefully we'll see a fix from TT for this soon. Please? In the meantime, you can override Line 44, forcing it to be 0 (rather than blank) on the Parent's calculation, but I'd rather not have to do this for my final return. 

Thanks for the info! Explains why mine is correct. I've already filed but still keeping an eye on this just to make sure.

Thanks for this reply. It makes sense with what I'm (still) seeing. The parent sheet is not working correctly to fill in a zero for line 44. I overrode it and that might have to be the way it goes. Not sure it will file correctly. Does Intuit monitor these forums? Wondering if this is still being fixed or they think it IS fixed.

I still haven’t filed, but it’s appearing to let me file. At the check when all done it points out this override and will repeatedly do that if you keep re-running Smart Check, but if you just choose Done instead, you move forward in the process. 

I’m certain TT knows the issue still exists and I at least I will get a confirmation once it’s fixed (I got a notice they were still working on it a few weeks back, so if they fixed it, I’m sure the same process would update me). Since they have a work-around, and likely affects few people, I suspect it’s low priority. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll hold on another week and try to electronic file. If it rejects, I guess I'll file paper. This is pretty bad, though. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

I haven't heard anything new from the devs about fixing this, but I did confirm today that I CANNOT file electronically due to the override I've made on Line 44. That's a cherry on top of the annoyance sundae that TT has provided me this year.

Gary in Santa Cruz
Returning Member

Thanks to the override option, at least we can complete the tax forms.  I've printed mine, and mailing now.  Next will be trying to get a refund for a $25 to e-file to California (paid before I hit the same e-file denial)

@AmyC - do you have any inside influence/information to get this bug escalated with the TurboTax developers? Thanks.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There is nothing showing in the investigations department and I don't have access beyond that. If things are not settled by the due date, I would recommend mailing with tracking to ensure the safe arrival of your documents. There is no need for a signature though.

@JimmyTax2 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies