Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2022 form 8962 Premium Tax Credit

First, I reported this issue over two weeks ago, and I was probably not the first.  Secondly, this is not a new calculation, it is the same as last year.

For whatever reason it is broke and you will have to wait for the fix or seek another option to file. 

If your AGI is $73K or less you can use one of the IRS FREE FILE options ... 

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

It definitely went over the expert's head.  She told me she had worked for H&R Block for 20 years but she wasn't even aware that Form 8962 existed.

I can wait but they need to note that the form isn't ready.  At this moment, it shows the form "Ready to Print" and "Ready to e-file".

That is an issue I brought up to the moderators already.

And I don't know what rock  your H&R Block friend has been under but the 8962 has been around for the last 10 years ... as long as the Obamacare situation has been in the picture. 

Completely agree.  This is an obvious issue and thousands of dollars to someone if they inadvertently filed and were not aware that the cap was lifted through 2025.  At a minimum, they should change the flag to not ready.  This would provide users with a comfort level that the product was reliable for other areas.

I spoke with TT customer support today.  I was on the phone with them for 30 mins and shared my screen, and walked the rep (Anthony) through the error.  He had me check for TT updates, Windows updates, then delete form 1095-A and recreate it.  None of this worked to correct the issue.  After pointing out exactly where the error was, I got the response in e-mail: Upon checking with the team and some of my higher up I was advised to let you know they will look into the error and you can go ahead and try in a couple of days.

To all the users on this thread -

This problem has been reported to the TurboTax Moderators and is being worked on.

This is the response received from the TurboTax Moderators of this forum -

Thank you all for bringing this to us. This is a confirmed issue, and the team is working diligently to fix this as soon as possible. I am monitoring this closely and I will reach out when I have more information or a containment article to share.

Debra_S

Waiting patiently is the opposite of what will result in change - few things:

- Even if critter is right that the IRS will not start processing until later, I went through the steps and was able to get to the point where could submit my return - complete with the 8962 error.  I wonder how many people will actually do this.

- I would expect Intuit's customer support department to report metrics on issues reported to engineering.  And I would expect priority of resolution to be based on # of reports - so the higher the stats for the 8962 issue reported the more likely it is to be higher in priority to resolve and hopefully the sooner.  

- I don't know if Intuit support monitors these forums and uses them in the metrics they report to engineering (we did at my old company).  If they do, then they might see this issue as resolved since this thread shows as having an answer.  

In the software realm this is called a regression.  It was a problem last year that was fixed.  The code branch was apparently not managed properly thus they need to fix it again.

I agree with everyone who remarked that the MINIMUM that should be done immediately is to put this form back to a PENDING status so that nobody files with inaccurate forms.  

Completely agree with the last 2 posts.  I can understand the form not being ready. 
However, if what Critter-3 says is true, "that forms need to be programmed, tested and verified by the IRS,"

then how did the current form ever get moved into  "Final, Ready to File"  status ?

@mindiw @alsn I used the 1040 Excel spreadsheet created by Glenn Reeves this morning in order to ballpark my Q4 federal estimated tax payment.  It works flawlessly!  Here is a link to the spreadsheet:

https://sites.google.com/view/incometaxspreadsheet/home?pli=1

It would be awesome if he could go work for TurboTax, managing their coding staff.

kmgm
Level 3

I didn't get a call back but I did get an email message from the Turbo Tax support team that mis-stated the law and said the form is working.  I responded to the email to say that they were wrong, but hoping these other people have had more success than I have.  I've used TT forever, but looks like I will be looking for other software if this is not fixed.  Here is the email I received:  

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about your issue with1095-A not flowing to the 8962 properly. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

We appreciate your patience while we looked into your issue. After investigating the issue, we found that If a taxpayer is making over 401% of the poverty line there is no assistance and the User has to repay back the advanced premium they obtained through the year.

Here are some links that may be informative:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/health-care/what-is-form-1095-a-health-insurance-marketplace-st...

Eligibility for the Premium Tax Credit | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

2022 Instructions for Form 8962 (irs.gov)

If you’re still having trouble or there’s something else we can help you with, feel free to give us a call.

Thank you,

The TurboTax Help Team

That’s sad. How do I get a refund?

From IRS instructions for 8962 (note the year’s mentioned):

For tax years other than 2021 and 2022, if your household income on your tax return is more than 400 percent of the federal poverty line for your family size, you are not allowed a premium tax credit and will have to repay all of the advance credit payments made on behalf of you and your tax family members.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies