Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2020 install fails on Activation - screen is blank

Okay, here's one more trick that has worked before.  When the activation screen appears and is blank, enter your activation code even though nothing shows to be typing.  Just act as if everything is correct.  This has worked on a few computers.  One more question, are you right clicking on the TT icon to open as administrator?  You need to do that, also.

Good luck... if this doesn't work we're back to zero.  It may or may not work.  I know it sounds crazy but everything about this is crazy.

One more thing: I, too, just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro and after going through all the updates that is normal had this same condition.  I haven't figured it out yet, but it seems that most of the complainst on this problem are from new computers bought since last November.  Anyway, any older computer will still run TT.  TT seems to be having a difficulty with the speed of the newer equipment thats in the SSD chips.  I hope TT is working on this.  I can't get anyone to give a real answer to that question.  Anyway, I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

Did you enter your bitlocker key from Microsoft when booting in safe mode?  I know there's more than one way to boot in safe mode so I may have failed to mention that you have to try the Microsoft method.  You can get your bitlocker key from your account with Microsoft.  If you don't have an account with them then go to their site and create an account to get the bitlocker key.  After doing that, then try to open TT and activate.  Hope this helps.  If you need the steps I'll post them.

I used the win10 system configuration (msconfig) to do a safe restart with Network features. 

I've never used the bitlocker keys. My drives are not encrypted.

I have an MS account and see keys for each disk. How do I use these keys?

Any idea why mode of restart in safe is an issue?

Here's a link that might givce some answers on encription.  Usually, when you buy or get a computer new that has Windows 10 Pro already installed, you have an encripted system.  That's why I suggested looking into the bitlocker method.  I'm not insisting that you do what I'm suggesting.  It could be that this encription would allow TT to run... maybe.  I'm saying this because this is the method I used to activate TT and it worked beautifully when no other method worked.  If you don't want to encript your disks then the bitlocker method isn't going to appear when you start up in safe mode.  I realize that this is sketchy and a little mysterious so be careful and read about it.  My system was encripted when it came from the manufacturer so I didn't have to wonder about it.  It might work for you and it might not...you decide.

THANKS! It's totally unbelievable.

I started Turbotax and the blank activation screen came up.

After 2 hours the activation screen populated itself but appeared to not accept the input. However as you suggested I typed in the activation code. The code box remained blank and the activation box was not active. But 2 hours later the code appeared in the box and the activation box litup. I pressed Activate and nothing happened. An hour later I pressed it again and Turbotax activated itself correctly!!!

So now all is well. That is until I buy and try to activate Turbotax 2021....stay tuned.

Thanks for the feedback and rejoiceing.  It's good to win once in a while.  I'm with you on the 2021 thing.  I just hope TT is working on it.  This trial and error thing is surely a great mystery.

In reply to cabal95 on February 27, 2021 post.

This explanation was very helpful.  Did not have to change resolution and change back - just started the change and reverted back for the 87 times it took to get through the installation.  Thanks!

You're welcome.  I hope TT gets this fixed quickly.  Too many people are having too much trouble right now.

pcodonnell1
Returning Member

So, this is an example of that old saw "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." I've spent a couple of hours interacting with senior tech support reps about this problem and here's the bottom line. 

First, they're finally admitting it's a known problem. Second, they admit that the setup routine was significantly changed for the 2020 release. That's why the problem doesn't affect the 2019 release. 

Third, and most troubling, they believe that the 'just try multiple resolutions' solution is good enough for the 2020 release. While they didn't confirm that they're NOT going to fix the 2020 release, the rep I 'chatted' with most recently said they were working hard to make sure the 2021 release didn't have this problem. Having tried every possible resolution on my new Dell desktop and three-year-old Asus high-res monitor, I've asked for a refund. 

Fourth, that same rep advised me to forget about TTInc 2020, and try Profile instead. The difference in cost, if you use the single return option, is about $25 more (a pain, I know), and it will supposedly import data from an earlier TTInc file (2019, for example.) I may be forced to go with this, but I'm not happy.

Overall, though, I'm thinking it might be better in the long run to dump Intuit TTInc entirely. There are other products, and they may require wholesale re-entering of data, but it might prevent future 'gotcha' problems like this one.

Part of my professional portfolio is teaching customer service for a major Canadian university. This experience with Intuit has earned the company a NOT-coveted place on our department 'wall of shame.' Not only does the product fail, but Intuit doesn't really care enough to fix it. Shame-worthy lack of support, don't you agree.

And, as one poster mentioned days ago (on this 17-page collection of complaints about this one problem), it's clear that none of Intuit's internal tech support people monitor - much less respond to - the message traffic on the community site. 

So, take your business elsewhere. That's what I, as a QuickBooks Pro Advisor, will be recommending to my clients. 

Pathetic!

They should give you a new download and a new License Code.  Ask them.  They did for me.

What should be made clear for the 'solution' is that when you change the screen  resolution, you must keep  TT open. i was shutting it down, changing the resolution, to 800x600, starting TT again and still getting the blank  screen. It only worked when i accidentally forgot to close it. 🙂

I just purchased a new HP Spectre x360 Convertible.  I attempted to reinstall TurboTax 2020 and got the same blank Activation screen.  When I chatted with Support, he had me change the resolution which made the drop down menus appear but they still did not function properly.  So it appears to be a TurboTax issue with higher resolution video cards.  I did not find a work around that allowed me to pull up my 2020 tax return.

GRT

I did manage to get TT 2020 activated but when I tried to open last year's tax return file, it asked me to download the appropriate state.  I again was faced with drop down boxes that did not function.  I was unable to get around this, even by changing the resolution to 800 x 600..  ☹️

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies