Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 1099-INT line 15 box needs the name of my state from a dropdown list. My state has no income tax so my 1099-INT brokerage form is blank. How do I get past this?

I cannot continue with TurboTax because it needs something in this box. My state is not listed (no state income tax) so I can't enter anything in this box.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

TurboTax 1099-INT line 15 box needs the name of my state from a dropdown list. My state has no income tax so my 1099-INT brokerage form is blank. How do I get past this?

If you received the interest in a state without state income tax, and do not have an amount in box 17,  you can leave all the boxes on that row for state tax information blank.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If your state has no income tax, there should be no state tax withheld in box 17 of the 1099-INT. In that case, you do not need anything in box 15. Leave boxes 15, 16, and 17 empty. Do not enter anything. Do not enter zero in box 17. Just leave it empty.

To avoid this altogether, on the screen that asks if any uncommon situations apply, do not check the box for "State income taxes were withheld" if box 17 on the 1099-INT is blank or zero.

So this is the case for me and my 1099-INT in fact does not have a state listed in box 15 for this reason. So why won't turbotax allow me to file electronically? I keep trying and it wants to force me to provide an answer to box 15, but there is none in the actual 1099-INT. Not sure what to do from here, I would like to avoid having to mail because I do not have checks to send payment.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Go back to the Interest section and check your entries for your 1099-INT. If you didn't have any state withholding shown on your 1099-INT, make sure that the box "State income taxes were withheld on this interest" is NOT checked.

If your 1099-INT entry has any reference to state withholding removed, but you are still getting an error that prevents you from proceeding to file, try deleting the Form 1099-INT following these steps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, what if the State (box 15) is empty but the Withholding tax (box 17) is zero? When I filled as is, Turbo didn't allow me to proceed. Should I select my current State (but it doesn't comply to the form as it shows empty), or remove '0.00' from the Withholding tax (which doesn't comply with the form as it indicates '0.00).

FYI, I am able to get by the same situation with the 1099-DIV, i.e. State is empty and the withholding is 0. Turbo allows to proceed without forcing a State info like with 1099-INT.

Thanks.

If the withholding in box 17 is zero then leave all boxes 15, 16, 17 Blank, no spaces and no zeros.  Same for the 1099 Div. leave boxes blank.  

Thank you! This is very helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies