Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax says Form 8938 has not been approved

Actually this seems to be (as first speculated) pure speculation.

here is what i found on the H&R forum.

I have been waiting for 3 weeks for Turbotax to make IRS Form 8938 available. They keep moving the availability date right. So today I tried H&R Block, because they said that it was up and running. When I got to the part in my 1040 where I basically needed 8938 they said that they couldn't actually file it on line with my 1040.

Has anyone actually managed to file on-line that had to submit an 8938, and if so, what software did you use?

Daniel, I used TT with Form 8938 for several years with no problem, always e-filing by end of January, or at the latest 1st week of February (when a W-2 or 1099 isn't available until Jan 31).

This is the first year there's been a delay, and although it's early (not due until April 15), it sure feels late, and like others I'm getting impatient.

I'm considering deleting Form 8938 from my return, filing, and then later filing an amended return.  (The return would be accepted; some people file successfully for years without even realizing they're supposed to include Form 8938, then later get hit with a surprise penalty, despite Form 8938 making no difference on dollar amounts - it's just an FYI for the government.)  I hesitate because:

- It'd be more work for me,

- It'd be more work for the beleaguered IRS,

- I suspect the finalized Form 8938 would become available as soon as I hit "send," and then I'll regret my impatience.

- I also suspect TT would charge an additional fee for an amended return.

@gardener1 wrote:

Daniel, I used TT with Form 8938 for several years with no problem, always e-filing by end of January, or at the latest 1st week of February (when a W-2 or 1099 isn't available until Jan 31).

This is the first year there's been a delay, and although it's early (not due until April 15), it sure feels late, and like others I'm getting impatient.

I'm considering deleting Form 8938 from my return, filing, and then later filing an amended return.  (The return would be accepted; some people file successfully for years without even realizing they're supposed to include Form 8938, then later get hit with a surprise penalty, despite Form 8938 making no difference on dollar amounts - it's just an FYI for the government.)  I hesitate because:

- It'd be more work for me,

- It'd be more work for the beleaguered IRS,

- I suspect the finalized Form 8938 would become available as soon as I hit "send," and then I'll regret my impatience.

- I also suspect TT would charge an additional fee for an amended return.

Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets is scheduled to be available on 02/25/2021 for both e-filing and printing 

Go to this website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

DoninGA, yes, I'm aware that Form 8938 "is scheduled to be available on 02/25/2021," however, given that it's already been scheduled and then re-scheduled more than once, I think it's apparent that dates are "scheduled" with little objective info to support them.

Ok but like you i think I will wait and see if the forms become available.

Perhaps if they get delayed yet more, I will do as you say.

if my memory serves me correctly your method was at one time the only method available.

I could be wrong (i often am) but I thought the due date of the form was later than April at that time.

I was more concerned that having started this post I did not like the idea of people (not you) ranting and raving, making assumptions and giving out false info.

This problem has nothing to do with anything TT did or did not do. this is all down to the IRS and to be fair they have had a lot of extra work this year with Stimulus payments and such.

Thanks again for adding your information, I am sure people found it usesfull.

I could be wrong (i often am) but I thought the due date of the form was later than April at that time.

It's the FBAR forms that aren't due until June or July.    Form 8938 is still due with your normal filing deadline.

Meanwhile, have filled in 8938 and everything is ready to go, but can't file for our federal refund yet (which is much higher than normal due to a 1 time credit) because TT is not up to date.

Thank you for your input, I am also expecting a large refund this year, some one suggested deleting the form but I have reservations about that.

If i answer the TT question about my foreign assets they will want the forms to be filled out so i am not sure TT would let me file without the form.

If i thought it was down to TT I would use a different software, before I do this I want to hear from some one who has successful e-filed.

The forms were only just released today so my thinking is I should give it a day or two before I do anything.

I have my eyes open for updates, but as of a little while ago, still nothing from TT indicating the forms are available.

Likewise, I've considered saying "No" so that the form isn't required, then filing an amendment when the form becomes available.    But I don't want to go through the extra admin.

Hey "Expert Helen C12", its now 2/25/2021 and still no Form 8938.  What the hell???  I've used Turbo Tax for years and never had a problem with availability of Form 8938 until this year.  Come on, I want to e-file my return and get my refund!!!

Seems like the only options are wait for the IRS to release forms or print out the  return and mail it.

Are e-files processed much much faster, if the IRS were upfront about when the forms will be released we would be able to make an educated guess of the quickest way to get our refund.

Has anyone tried to print everything and mail it ?

How much longer does it take to get a return from a mailed in return ?

Well, well. The day is half over and Turbotax still hasn't released all the forms they've been batching up and already promised to release on 3 other dates.  I'm sure they spend millions on trying to improve "customer experience."  How about just providing the tax return forms that we already paid for?

Federal Individual Forms Availability (intuit.com)

Yeah, because H&R block is probably using TurboTax software!  LOL  🤣

Turbo tax is a joke this year with this form.    Been filing this form for over a decade with them without issue!  No issue for not having it.  And this form release has been pushed back at least 5 times!!!!!  

Its available on the IRS website to print and mail for months!!!  But a mailed in tax return this year will likely take 3-4 months to process.

Form 8938 is available in TurboTax.

To get to the form, Go to the FEDERAL TAXES tab.  Type 8938 in the search box, and jump to 8938.

@Garth_Werner

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies