turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax is telling me I can't file my returns electronically, I have to mail them. It is not telling me why

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

Turbo Tax is telling me I can't file my returns electronically, I have to mail them. It is not telling me why

NYS requires efile it's a law. I need to find a way to do this.

If you are seeing "Ready to mail," it means you chose the File by Mail option instead of e-File or your return is not eligible for e-filing. So you will need to print and mail your return if you choose to file a paper return or if your return is not eligible for e-file. 

Keep in mind, there are also still some IRS and state forms that have not been finalized yet. You won’t be able to e-file right now if your return has unavailable forms. Click on Review to the left to see if your return has forms that are not yet ready and it should show the date they should become available as well. 

This link will give you the instructions on how to print and mail if you are using the TurboTax Online version of the software and need to mail the return How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

If you chose the File by Mail option by mistake, you can switch to e-file using the steps below. Click on "Change to e-file your return in TurboTax Online versions" below and it will show you the instructions for how to do that. 

NOTE: If you try to switch to e-file and it doesn't allow you to, you can find some reasons listed here When a tax return can’t be e-filed no matter what you do that would be the cause for not being able to e-file your return. And in 
this case, you need to print and mail.

Hi! I cant find the tab that you’re saying

k65
Returning Member

If turbo telling me I can't be filed my returns how can turbo help me to mail in my return because I haven't got my W2 I moved to another state can you help me please

The solution may be the W-2, Box 14, Code K.  Change the code from "NY Tax Exempt"" to "Subject to NY Tax".  Then go to File Section.  Go through up until the last page that has Transmit my return.  Don't transmit the return.

Once you get to this page, Go back to the W-2 and change Box 14 Code back to "NY Tax Exempt"

Now go back to File Section and you should be able to efile your return.

Hello I'm trying to file my 2019 taxes but it's telling me that I have to pay for it and then mail it in but when I look online and I ask the question can I still do my 2019 taxes electronically for free it says yes I can.... I'm confused. Please help.

You can no longer use free TurboTax to do your 2019 taxes and you cannot use TurboTax to efile 2019 taxes.  To do 2019 taxes with TurboTax you will need to putchase the download or CD and do the taxes on a computer.  

Then you will have to print and mail the return.  Even though NY says that they do not want paper tax returns, they will accept your mailed return.

I think I'll rather just take into a tax company. 

debr4beck

Yes, next year I will hire a CPA to do this in person. 

ingridnow
Returning Member

Turbotax does not accept that I have zero withdrawal from my SEP, which is permitted as a corona virus withdrawal

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Not exactly. There is still tax on withdrawals. By definition, a withdrawal would be more than 0.

The corona virus legislation allows the tax to be paid ratably over 3 years and forgives the 10% early withdrawal.

For more information, see: Coronavirus-related relief for retirement plans and IRAs questions and answers which includes the following:

Q4. What is a coronavirus-related distribution?   

A4. A coronavirus-related distribution is a distribution that is made from an eligible retirement plan to a qualified individual from January 1, 2020, to December 30, 2020, up to an aggregate limit of $100,000 from all plans and IRAs. 

Q5. Do I have to pay the 10% additional tax on a coronavirus-related distribution from my retirement plan or IRA?

A5. No, the 10% additional tax on early distributions does not apply to any coronavirus-related distribution.

Q6. When do I have to pay taxes on coronavirus-related distributions?

A6. The distributions generally are included in income ratably over a three-year period, starting with the year in which you receive your distribution. For example, if you receive a $9,000 coronavirus-related distribution in 2020, you would report $3,000 in income on your federal income tax return for each of 2020, 2021, and 2022. However, you have the option of including the entire distribution in your income for the year of the distribution.

@ingridnow

There's no such thing as a Zero withdrawal.  For tax purposes, the amount of your withdrawal is still considered taxable income.  Depending on the circumstances for the withdrawal, will determine how that withdrawal is taxed.  Example, if it was a Covid Withdrawal, then at minimum, you may be entitled to a waiver of the Early Withdrawal penalty.   Regardless of the penalty, 100% of a Covid distribution is taxable income.  Your options would then be either pay taxes on 100% of the withdrawal in 2020 or you can spread out the distribution amount into 1/3 over the next three years so you'll not hit by all that income tax at once.  OR you can get out of paying income tax all together on the entire distribution amount by repaying 100% of the distribution back into your retirement account over the next three years.

tim-parker1956
Returning Member

Turbo Tax says electronic filing not available? IRS says they accept returns starting Jan 22?? Why doesn't Turbo Tac file it?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

What is the exact message being received in Turbo Tax? in the meantime  you may review IRS forms availability as well as state forms availability to ensure that all your forms are available and supported by e-file @tim-parker1956.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies