Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bigdaddy69
Returning Member

Turbo Tax indicates that a possible Self-employed sick leave is available due to quarantine. Where is this entered? It seems to skip over it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Turbo Tax indicates that a possible Self-employed sick leave is available due to quarantine. Where is this entered? It seems to skip over it.

What Is Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)?

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) is a program that temporarily expands unemployment insurance (UI) eligibility to self-employed workers, freelancers, independent contractors, and part-time workers impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

PUA is one of the programs established by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, a $2 trillion coronavirus emergency stimulus package that President Donald Trump signed into law on March 27, 2020. The Act expands states' ability to provide unemployment insurance to many workers affected by COVID-19, including people who aren't ordinarily eligible for unemployment benefits.

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Established by the CARES Act, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) temporarily expands unemployment insurance eligibility to self-employed workers, freelancers, independent contractors, and part-time workers.
  • You must provide self-certification that you are able to work and available for work, and that you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work due to a COVID-19-related situation.
  • Benefit amounts are calculated based on previous earnings, using a formula from the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program under the Stafford Act.
  • Under the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation program, those who were eligible for PUA also received $600 per week through July 31, 2020.
  • Workers are eligible for retroactive benefits and can receive benefits for up to 50 weeks.
bigdaddy69
Returning Member

Thank you for the response, what you are indicating is unemployment for self employed.   I am looking for sick leave credit that turbo tax indicates that may be possible. 

This is the quote from the software:  I was required to be quarantined for 14 days.

Self-employed sick leave
You may be eligible to receive a tax credit for up to 10 sick days between April 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 for any of the following reasons:

• You or someone you cared for was subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19
  • You or someone you cared for was advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
  • You or someone you cared for was experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
  • You were caring for your child because their school or place of care was closed, or their childcare provider was unavailable due to COVID-19 precautions.
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is a way for the self-Employed to get supplemental income since they are not eligible for state unemployment. 

More information from TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bigdaddy69
Returning Member

Your reply does not make sense.  I could not file for unemployment when  I was quarantined.  The state would not let me.  I read this statement from turbotax as a different item.   A "credit" this is something that you get back on your tax return, not from the state in a check.  The software did not ask me any question regarding this, this is why I posted this question to see if I was eligible for this "credit".  Where can I select to get these questions answered?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This TurboTax Help explains the credit as follows:

If you meet all of the requirements, you would be eligible for qualified sick leave for each day during the year that you were unable to work for the above reasons (up to 10 days). The tax credit is worth the lesser of

• $511 per day or
  • 100% of your average daily self-employment income for the year per day.

The only days that may be taken into account in determining the qualified sick leave equivalent amount are days occurring during the period beginning on April 1, 2020, and ending on December 31, 2020.

Under the expanded Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provision of the FFCRA, you would be eligible for qualified family leave for each day that you were unable to work because

• you were caring for someone else impacted by COVID-19 (up to 10 days), or
  • your child's school or child care provider was closed or unavailable due to COVID-19 (up to 50 days).

You can claim a tax credit for the lesser of $200 per day or 67% of your average daily self-employment income for the year per day.

TurboTax Desktop Home & Business reviews the credit here:

• Across the top of the screen, click on Personal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • At the screen How do you want to enter your deductions and credits? click on I'll choose what I work on.
  • Under Your 2020 Deductions & Credits, scroll down to Tax relief related to COVID-19.
  • Click on Start / Update to the right of Self-employed sick leave credit.

TurboTax Online Self-Employed reviews the credit here:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • At the screen Your tax breaks, scroll down to Tax relief related to COVID-19.
  • Click on Start / Update to the right of Self-employed sick leave credit.

For 2021 taxes, the self-employed sick leave and family leave credits are showing as available in Turbo Tax, but when I click on "Learn More," the only eligible dates are from 4/30/2020 and 12/31/2020. If we had to quarantine for COVID or had school closures for COVID during 2021, are those dates eligible for the credit? Or only dates back to 2020?

Thank you -

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The provisions for tax credits to self-employed individuals for sick leave taken due to COVID 19 were extended to include leave taken up to March 31, 2021 and then extended again under the American Rescue Plan through Sept 30, 2021. 

Here is a link to the IRS announcement.  Questions 60 and higher address "self-employed" taxpayers.  

The IRS has not approved the new forms yet and thus the form 7202 is not available yet in TurboTax.  Here is a link to monitor for forms availability in TurboTax.  

I'm very confused on the qualifications for the complex

'Tax relief related to Covid-19 -

Self-Employed sick leave credit

and Self-Employed family leave credit'...

If I got CA EDD unemployment does that disqualify me?

(I did for most but NOTt every week of 2020 & 21..

So do I just need to list the days/weeks dates they ask for that I didn't get Unemployment to qualify?)

THX! 

I have the same question.  Wondering if you found the answer for if anyone at TT would chime in.

Hi, no I haven't.

I ended up playing it safe and only counting the days n weeks when I didn't get Unemployment...

BUT, I did read somewhere on the net that the IRS never was clear on this and there was 1 tax savvy sounding person who said one could count all weeks (including one's when we got unemployment)...  They said something like it depended more on the state whether anyone would/could complain.

I live in California... and IF I could count all weeks I would have saved $10k+ more! Pffff, sure wish it was clearer to real humans!!!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies