Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

Same issues.  I consider my time valuable but apparently Intuit does NOT.  First Quicken goes down the tubes with glitches and poor support..........Guess INTUIT got rid of Quicken so they could provide the same problems for their users with Turbo Tax.  Class Action?

This is the trick that did it.  But I *HATE* making these kinds of changes to my system when it is otherwise stable.  You never know what sorts of chaos you're introducing into your life by doing so.  Get your **bleep** together Intuit!  You've been in business for what, over 30 years now?  Stop making your loyal cash paying customers jump through so many hoops just to install your product!

Bless you, Rip in Franklin.  Your detailed "fix" was absolutely clear and easy to follow for a technologically challenged person like myself.  Best of all IT WORKED!  Turbotax should be paying you a consulting fee!  Thank you.

MSI, Internet, and other types of errors can be solved this way with any other software or device. For example, this is related to folder corruption, permission change, net framework error, or driver issue related to windows. Meaning your computer needs a tune-up. So, the fix is to move to the online version by calling TurboTax, or if you still want the desktop software, Intuit will graciously troubleshoot with you, or you can follow through with these steps.

1. First, (TurboTax has to be uninstalled) Then, create a new Admin Username. Here are the instructions - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-... - This creates a whole new folder hierarchy in windows. A quicker option than troubleshooting the exact issue. Minimal space is needed for this execution. It's around 5 to 20 MB.

3. Then, switch to the new account from the start menu. You do not have to sign out. Then, quickly skip through the privacy and policy statement related to Windows. After this point, TurboTax should have started a glance session. If they were unable to, they should be able to now. 

4. After that, install with the CD or download.

The other 20 percent will have to update their drivers with this link - https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php. This also fixes internet connection issues with the software.

And that's that! You may use the software from your other username; however, you will have to sign out entirely of the admin account to do so. Also, if you open the download after installation from the admin account, it will ask to activate. You will continue to enter the paid license code you purchased into TurboTax; however, starting in this account will take one of your five activations. Then, once you switch back to your primary username, it will ask to activate again. So, only activate the software in the Microsoft account you intend to file your taxes. However, your primary username may still have a folder corruption. So, switching back to the admin account may be your only option. If you cannot open TurboTax in the primary username, you must sign out before switching back, vice versa.

This change to the TEMP and TMP environment variables work for me.  THANKS

this worked like a charm, very disappointed in TurboTax support that they couldn't figure this out, and that they released the product without ensuring this wouldn't happen. End users should not have to mess with environment variables to make the installer work. Thanks

Im just not computer savy enough. I was on the phone with Turbo Tax yesterday, no kidding, almost five hours. Doing this, doing that. Still couldnt get it to load. They even gave me a new download copy and I will take this CD back to where I bought it, I guess. 

Anyway, I can follow the instructions, but like I said, not computer savy enough. My questions is on changing the environments in the TEMP and TMP files. What do you change them too? I have Windows 10, plenty of storage and all, but just dont know what to do in this case. I understand changing the files. Not real happy with Turbo Tax and this not working. I've used it for years. I put in last years CD and it loaded up fine, but not 2021. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  [email address removed]

Create a new folder C:\Temp, if it doesn't already exist. Then enter "system" in the search bar within your task bar. In the window that pops up click on "Environment Variables". In the box labeled "User Variables for ...", i.e. the top box, edit the values for TEMP and TMP.

Thank you. I will look at this. I just dont want to make a mess out of my computer by screwing around with this. I am no programmer by any means, and its a bit scary. 

I appreciate your response and will look at it. I just hate making changes when I really dont know what I am doing . 

Tim

I understand edit the values, but edit them with what? Sorry to be so dumb

sorry to be a pest, but could you show me a path that I would put in this? currently it shows %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click the link below for TurboTax Customer Support to receive personalized care. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I assume you know how to create a new folder? If not, the easiest way would be to type cmd into the search bar and when the new command prompt comes up, enter:

mkdir C:\Temp (then hit enter)

But only do this if you do not already have that folder.

Then to change your environment variables. Start typing "edit the system environment variables" and as soon as you see this string appear in the popup associated with  the Control Panel, click on it  (I had said to enter "system", but that doesn't always work , so this is better). Then click on Environment Variables on the popup windows that ensues. Then in the topmost box associated "User variables for ...":

1. Click on TEMP in the window.

2. Click on the Edit button.

3. Replace the variable value with C:\Temp

4. Click on OK.

Repeat for TMP.

This worked. I really, really appreciate the extra time (or hand holding) that you provided. This worked. I assume there is no need to change those variables back to whatever they were as it will work the same. 

Again, I thank you very, very much. I cant believe that Intuit doesnt know this fix. Obviously there are others who have and will run into the same problem. They apparently dont want to give people advice on going into their systems. However, I find it rediculous that their customers have to go through this nonsens. Honestly, I bought the first copy, didnt work. Called...the person I spoke to said to go from wireless to hard wire on my computer and that would fix it and if not, call back. Did that, didnt work. Called again, farted around on that call for two hours. Said its probably a defective disk. Went back to the store who let me exchange for a new one. New one didnt work. Called again. Stepped me through so many items I cant remember and ended up being another 4+ hour call...NO KIDDING. The folks I spoke with were very nice and really tried to help, but they are only given what Intuit tells them to say. Toward the end of the third call, a new 'expert' said to delete my anti virus...??? At that point, enough was enough. Not about to do that. This computer is fine. 

Again, I am very thankful for your help. I was about ready to just do the on line version, but that is only for one return, and I also do my daughters. 

Thanks again. 

I am glad I was able to help. When I was having a problem and phoned their help phone number, Intuit wanted me to install a program that would allow them to look at my desktop and that would install either. I think I might know what is causing their problem. Out of curiosity, does your machine name have any embedded spaces in it, such as "John Doe", and therefore what had been the previous values for TEMP and TMP would also have had embedded spaces in it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies