turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

richuna

Hello, do I need to file Form 6251 - Alternative Minimum Tax 2018 even though I don't need to pay the AMT? The TurboTax Review does not include the AMT form. Thank you.

Hello, do I need to file Form 6251 - Alternative Minimum Tax 2018 even though I don't need to pay the AMT? The TurboTax Review does not include the AMT form. Thank you.

Best regards,

Richard

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you are not subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), you do not need to file form 6251 with your tax return. This is the reason why TurboTax has not generated form 6251 for your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you are not subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), you do not need to file form 6251 with your tax return. This is the reason why TurboTax has not generated form 6251 for your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
emc

Turbo Tax calculated that I am subject to AMT for State (MN) and included Schedule M1MT that states"... must include... 6251" yet TurboTax did NOT generate for 6251. Is there a way to have TurboTax generate 6251 so calculations match?

Same problem here for 2019 tax year. Turbo Tax didn't print out a 6251 (not subject?) but MN e-file failed due to needing it included for M1MT. Apparently 6251 needs to be filled out (with what?) and mailed in with M1MT. 

Open up the forms view and see if form 6251 has been filled out but not printed.  You can select it and print it out.   If that fails,  there is a box at the end of the from that allows you to file the form even if not required. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies