Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax 2020 not adding Form 2210 for underpayment penalty

Form 2210 in print format and e-file format will not be available until 2/25/2021 in TurboTax.

TurboTax is currently estimating the penalty for your purposes, but you are unable to file the 2210 and use the actual penalty amount calculated until the print of the form or the e-file of it has been approved by IRS.

If you have a penalty, you are required to submit the 2210 with your return if using the calculated amount of that penalty on your return.

If you wish to file your return now, you would have to let IRS figure the underpayment penalty for you since the form is not yet available to file with your return.

If you wish to wait until the 2210 is available in TurboTax, then you will have to wait until 2/25/2021

after you have updated your software in order to e-file the Form 2210 calculations with the return.

If you are able to wait until the form is released in TurboTax on 2/25/2021, so you can use it to finalize the calculation for your penalty, then you can update your software, complete the calculations and figure it yourself before you file your return.

It is now February 23 and Form 2210 is not available yet.  Please tell us when Form 2210 will be available...thanks!

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Here is a link to the estimated date of availability of federal and state forms in TurboTax (and they are updated regularly):

Link for Federal Forms Availability in TurboTax

State forms availability in TurboTax

According to the above links, Form 2210 is still estimated to be available for Forms printing and E-filing to be 02/25/2021, as previously stated.

I would like to know WHY the form isn't ready in TT yet!  Feb 23rd... yeah yeah we all know that.  But why the undisclosed delay!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thephreek it's not "undisclosed" that the form is expected to be ready on February 25th as stated multiple times in the thread.

Lots of tax forms aren't ready yet.  The tax filing season has not even been open two full weeks yet and tax changes were being made up until the very last minute, again.  Tax returns in the U.S. are complicated as is the software that tries to interpret the rules to complete the forms.  It takes time.  Chill. 

Forms are released by the IRS first - and many still aren't ready THERE.  Then they have to be approved by the IRS for use in software.   Then of course the software has to be programmed.  The 2210 isn't a very simple form and it requires calculations from brand new credits and all sorts of things, plus, forms are worked on in order of importance and # of filers.   

The overwhelming majority of people who have to file form 2210 also have a balance due to the IRS.  They can wait a few more days to pay it.   The forms that assist those waiting for refunds take priority.   

You can pay your taxes next week.  It won't cost you a penny more (someone in this thread was whining about the extra money this was costing her - she needs to back to first grade.)  

People need to stop whining and get a new hobby.  go get some fresh air and do your taxes in a few weeks.  good grief, people.  

Did someone just say raising this issue is just Whining / first grade? Really? The product did not work for its intended purpose for the entire month of February. The IRS released the form in early February. The software has blocked efiling of tax returns (the intended purpose of the software). If we were sold a car that didn’t work for an entire month, some might consider it to be defective, no? And, yes, there is a very real cost associated with the defect - penalties paid earlier accrue less interest, and for those seeking stimulus there is a consequence to a later filed tax return. This has been going on for an entire month.  Telling us to mail it in or check a box we don’t want is not dispositive - it’s not what we purchased the software to do. ‘Our software team needs time to update’ is just an excuse - one that really isn’t disclosed in the marketing brochure for the product nor was it communicated to me before my credit card was billed for the software, which was purchased so I could efile my taxes - which the software actually blocks. The upshot is it’s a consumer product with a bug that was not known by the purchaser at time of purchase — otherwise known as a latent defect. 

And, the claim that priority was placed on refunds instead of this issue is a red herring. If TurboTax applied the appropriate resources, it would be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.  The mere suggestion that the underpayment issue is less deserving of TurboTax attention is unfortunate. Perhaps TurboTax has forgotten just how many are affected due to unemployment because of the pandemic.

Yes, she did say that.  Of course if she were expecting a refund and a single form was holding up her ability to file and pocket that money, she'd be "whining" too.  Especially in this wrecked up world.  Some people have no class... SMH.

@Anonymous ,

You say "You can pay your taxes next week.  It won't cost you a penny more", but that is incorrect. The 2 week delay in between when the form was released and when Turbotax has it, is costing me about $12.  That is the cost of interest that the IRS calculates per day for late fees.  The earlier I file, the less fees I pay.  So Turbotax is costing me money. 

Others, I recommend we stay away from any comments that are personal or directed at a poster.  We can correct wrong information, but it does not help the forum to criticize people personally.  Just saying.  

Form 2210 was promised by 25 Feb. It is 25 Feb and I had no Turbotax updates this morning.

flenjpa
Returning Member

I had a number of updates today ( Feb 25) but it had been about 10 days since I opened up TurboTax.  Form 2210 was not included with the updates. I just got a message that it would be available "soon". 

Please, how did you get the message?

flenjpa
Returning Member

When I opened up TurboTax to the place where I left off the message came up - in TurboTax itself.

flenjpa
Returning Member

The date of Feb 25,2020, for Form 2210 is just an estimated date.  That it hasn't yet been released isn't surprising. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Good news and bad news. The form is listed to be released today but it not yet showing the word available. When it changes from a date to the word available, you will be able to use the form.

The IRS works on forms from most common to least common. See Federal form availability for expected release dates. Once released, we work to incorporate them quickly.

The IRS uses draft forms until they finalize. Here are Instructions for Form 2210. However, TurboTax does not update until the form is finalized.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies