Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tt

If my daughter and I each buy and install our own copies of TT, can I prepare a tax return and send it to her to efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

tt

If you are referring to the 2021 TurboTax software, e-filing of a 2021 tax return using TurboTax closed after October 17, 2022.

The 2021 tax return can only be printed and mailed.

If e-filing was still open why would you not just e-file using the TurboTax software that you have already installed?

To answer your question, you would need to save your tax return.  There will be a tax data file of the return with a file extension of .taxyyyy, where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2021 for tax year 2021.  The tax data files is stored by default in the TurboTax folder within the Documents directory on your computer.

You could then send the tax data file as an e-mail attachment to your daughter.  She would then have to download and open the tax return with the TurboTax software for the same tax year as the tax data file.  Then completed the File section of the program and e-file the return.

Note - if you also complete a state tax return, her software will need to have the same state program installed on her TurboTax.

tt

Yes.  But it's not safe to email.  You need to send her the .tax2021 file.  And it's too late to efile 2021 now.  Why can't you efile it?  Is she helping you prepare it?  You need to print and mail 2021 and prior now.  Or are you asking for next year?

tt

Looking ahead for 2022, and would already have efiled the 5 maximum, looking to have her efile another tax return for me. Would I have to rename the PDF file assigned by TT, which includes my name? Can you explain exactly how I would email the completed tax returns (federal & state) to her to efile without it being counted as an additional efiled tax return by me? Thanks

tt

I thought so, that you were at the 5 limit.  Just email the file ending in .tax2022 as an attachment.   Nothing special, it should work.  She will need to have any state programs installed to open it.  Does she have the same states as you ?  She just OPENS it in  her program.  Not import or transfer.  It only counts as a efile if you efile it.   Are you both on Windows?  It should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.   Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax2022.

tt

Be aware it's not safe to email sensitive files like tax PDFs and *.taxYYYY data files in unsecured regular email.    They contain all of one's important personal info and possibly even bank account numbers.  At a minimum, one would need to password-protect/encrypt such a sensitive file to ensure only the authorized receiver can open any file and not any miscreant that happens to intercept it.   Another possibility (and one I'm not familiar with) would be to use one of the secure encrypted file-sharing products, some of which use a cloud account.

tt

.or...if she lives fairly close by.

1)  Just copy the tax file to a flash drive (usb stick) and take that to her. She can then copy it off the flash drive to her own computer and open it there.

2)  If you are likely to hit the limit on your own computer (due to working on dependent's files), I would strongly recommend you file your own tax file first on your own computer.  Then do the dependents last, and the extra one (dependent's) transferred to the daughter. 

When preparing their child's tax return, far, Far, FAR too many people forget to indicate that their dependent is claimed by someone else (meaning you), and file the dependent's tax return first...then the parents, only later, discover that they screwed up and cannot e-file their own tax return because of that mistake...and then they have to file their own on paper.....snail-mail....snail-processed too, AND amend the wrongly-filed child's tax return.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

tt

Yes do the more complicated returns first.  Maybe someone can use the IRS Free File next year or the Turbo Tax Online Free Edition.  

Carl
Level 15

tt

The below refers to the desktop/CD version of the program.

Be aware the 5 e-filed returns is an IRS limit.... not a TurboTax limit. The IRS (not Turbotax) says you can e-file a maximum of 5 returns per e-mail address. After that, you have to print, sign an mail any additional returns created.

At the time of this posting (Oct 22, 2022) the IRS has closed e-filing for the 2021 tax return as of Oct 15, 2022. A 2021 tax return can not be filed electronically using any personal preparation tax software. (Though licensed tax professionals with a PTIN may still be able to e-file with professional tax prep software.)

tt

Thank you everyone; all replies were helpful....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies