turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ariadne II
Returning Member

TT computing incorrectly

I took RMD money out of a qualified plan before the rule changed, then returned it.  If I say it was an RMD, TT taxes it, even while giving a message saying (correctly) that it is not taxable!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

TT computing incorrectly

Delete the form and start again. This time answer “no” when asked if the distribution was a RMD. Then you will be able to report how much was returned to your plan. 

Ariadne II
Returning Member

TT computing incorrectly

True. And that's what I did.  However, if I do check "RMD" (which it was at the time) and show it rolled over, TT correctly says it is not taxable, but goes ahead and includes it as a taxable amount!!!!

If money  is taken out in the belief that it was an RMD, then properly rolled over, does TT should explain that the box "RMD" should not be checked.

TT computing incorrectly

I totally agree that this could be handled better and many taxpayers have had trouble with this issue. 

Ariadne II
Returning Member

TT computing incorrectly

The problem can be fixed easily by TT, either by instructing users not to check the RMD or not asking the question, as there were no required minimum  distributions in 2020!

Ariadne II
Returning Member

TT computing incorrectly

There is clearly a program error:  If TurboTax states unequivocably that it is not taxable, then computes as if it were, it is an error.  Moreover, TT says it is "rare" to be correct check "No".  In fact, there may be many who took out RMDs before the law changed, and that would make it not, "Rare."

The proper fix is to explain in the 1099R input process is to state, "If an RMD or other distribution was taken during 2020 and later returned or rolled over pursuant to the 2020-only provision not requiring RMDs, you should check the "No" box."

Ariadne II
Returning Member

TT computing incorrectly

Intuit clearly has had time to fix this error, and has not.  How do we get the word to them?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

TT computing incorrectly

Please reach out to us directly at the link here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies