turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Business Will Not eFile Without Form 8990

I am filing a simple 1120 corporate return.  When I get to efile it states I need to attach Form 8990 because "you indicated the business owns a pass-through entity with excess business interest".  No and No.  I have not claimed any interest deduction and my C corp does not own any pass through entities.  I have been back and forth through the program, and spent 1.5 hours with tech support, and no one can find where you make this election for ownership of pass through entities in the program for C Corps.  My interest deduction on line 18 Form 1120 is zero (or blank). 

Some of the unhelpful advice coming back includes  revise Form 1065 (which is for partnership returns)  and is irrelevant.  Even if I include a form 8990 by hand in the forms section I still get the same error at efiling.  

What is weird is this instruction doesn't appear until after passing error check.  My hunch is that they were late in coding 8990, which was released late by IRS, and this is just a hack solution.  Unfortunately it hasn't been properly integrated for C corp filings.

Anyone else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I just received another useless pointer from tech support to see article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4624248-efiling-it-states-that-i-must-include-an-8990-for-a-pass-t...

When you read this article there is no explanation as to whether it applies to Form 1120 for corporate returns, and the solution cannot be found in the program.  

This is symptomatic of a an organization that is simply recycling other users solution in place of their direct support.  Consequently, you get garbled and typically irrelevant information which they pass off as a "solution".

If you really want an eye opener see this thread:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/Get-your-taxes-done-using-TurboTax/Turbotax-2018-Deluxe-crashes-co...

Same problem happens to me. Could not find any solution. I'll submit this bug reports to intuit hoping they provide fix by the filing dealine.

I guess if Intuit does not fix this bug by March 15 IRS will recieve unusual amount of paper filings and file extentions from corporations. IRS should not be happy with that.

Found it at last. In my case it's form1020S schedule B line 10, it should be "Yes". E-filed successfully.

Do you have an K-1 entries for entities you are a partner of?

if so that would be your tie in.  Otherwise it’s likely your questions on if gross receipts exceed $25 million, and foreign entity ownership. It’s line 24 of the 1065, but I’m not sure where it is on 1020S.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies