Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

baj
Level 2

TT 2023 installation directory

When doing a new install (or repair install) in Win11, I specified the installation directory as c:\Program Files (x86)\ turbo tax\Individual 2023\. The installation program kept installing in c;\Program Files\Turbo Tax\Individual 2023. Note all my previous years of TT including 2022 were in the ...(x86) directory tree. I installed as administrator. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

It will not install in that directory by default if it's a 64-bit program.

baj
Level 2

Must be a new limitation of TT because for 10+ years I have always specified TT installation in the same master directory. And always used TT Advantage to d/l.

Is there a 32 bit version available ?

Frankly, I am not sure. I tend to doubt it if that's the installation directory in which the program installs.

I installed the 2023 Premier desktop edition on my Win 10 computer. 

The 2023 TurboTax program installed in the Program Files directory on the C:\ drive.  This is not where the other TurboTax programs have installed.  All the prior year TurboTax programs were installed in the Program Files (x86) directory on the C:\ drive.

However, the install went well with no issues and the 2023 program is in use.

baj
Level 2

Tks for the reply. Perhaps someone else might be experiencing the same thing when installing tt 2023.

baj
Level 2

Same thing happened for me using win 11. I had to copy the individual 2023 directory to ...(x86), edit the perwin.ini to (x86), modify the desktop shortcut and then restart my computer to get tt 2023 to execute from the (x86) directory

Is there a reason you want to change the default install directory?

baj
Level 2

Two reasons. First because that directory is where all my tt files are and previous tt installs were for each year and second because if you noticed during the install you were asked to use a default directory in the program files master or browse to another directory and select it for installation. The later is the problem and doesn't  work (it ignores your directory selection). 

Thanks. I was just curious. 

As for the second reason, it's actually sounds more like a software defect.

baj
Level 2

Creatures of habit like me tend to adhere to the "if it isn't broken leave it alone" 🙂

I agree that it is probably a software defect and am hoping that the TT support people monitor this message traffic.

I appreciate your participation and suggestions.

@baj wrote:
I agree that it is probably a software defect.........

Yes. I am also wondering if this is some sort of Windows 11 limitation with respect to the install (i.e., if it is still possible to switch install folders with Windows 10).

rwtoombs

I completed my taxes manually.  Obviously I didn't need to order the same thing twice.

Klink
Returning Member

The 2023 Business will not find my Quickbooks data, as quickbooks is in the program files (x86) directory

baj
Level 2

I found the TT Premier to automatically store data in c:\Program Files\Turbo Tax\Individual 2023. There might be an equivalent folder used by Quickbooks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies