Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Treasury bill interest for nonresident alien

I'm a nonresident alien. I wonder if Treasury bill interest is exempt from taxation for me? I know some kinds of interest are nontaxable for nonresident aliens but I'm not sure if Treasury bill interest is included.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/certain-types-of-nontaxable-interest-income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Page 11 of Publication 519 indicates that interest includes "interest from a state, the District of Columbia, or the U.S. government."  Nonresident aliens for tax purposes are not subject to tax on interest income.  If you received a 1099-INT, I would recommend keeping it for your records as well as a reference to Pub 519 for tax year 2019.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Page 11 of Publication 519 indicates that interest includes "interest from a state, the District of Columbia, or the U.S. government."  Nonresident aliens for tax purposes are not subject to tax on interest income.  If you received a 1099-INT, I would recommend keeping it for your records as well as a reference to Pub 519 for tax year 2019.

MarCar - You may already be aware that if you are a nonresident alien, you will need to file using the 1040NR or 1040NREZ form.  You cannot file these forms electronically.  You will need to complete paper forms, attach the appropriate tax reporting forms and mail your return in. You will also need to complete the 8843.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxation-of-nonresident-aliens

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you are a nonresident alien, you need to file a nonresident tax return.  TurboTax does not support nonresident returns.  However, we have a partnership with Sprintax and they can assist you with your nonresident filing requirement.  They can also assist you with any interest questions you have as a nonresident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies