Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seplovich
Returning Member

Transferring Tax Data From One Account to Another

Last year I called Intuit Customer Support for a login issue and I was advised to create a new account in order to align with my existing Mint and QB accounts with my TT account. I did so and now my 2018 taxes are in this new account whereas all my previous filed taxes for many years are under a different Intuit account.

How can I import the previous tax returns from one account into the other so I can consolidate all my filings into the one account? There must be a way to export and import data like in the old days.

A response will be very much appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

From where to where?  Basically you can't.  You can not merge or delete online accounts.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-management/help/can-i-merge-my-accounts/00/27136

When you get full download access to the Old account, download all of the tax files to your home computer as PDF files, then again as the .taxyyy datafiles.  Then back them up off computer on a flash drive.  That will be your primary access to those old files.  IF you don't do that, you'll have to call Customer Support every year, and show them that you paid for that year's software in your current account, before they will unlock that old account.  That could be a pain.  IF you have them all on you home computer (AND the backup), you'll have immediate access.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
seplovich
Returning Member

From either account to the other. One account has all my returns including and prior to 2017 ( "old account"). The"new" account only has the return for 2018. Is there a way to transfer all returns from the old account to the new or vice versa, the 2018 return to the old account?

No.  TurboTax accounts cannot be combined.  you cannot transfer one to another.  Sorry you accidentally created a new account for 2018 instead of using your existing one, but now you are stuck with them.  Keep track of the accounts and user ID's needed to access them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
seplovich
Returning Member

Thank you for that response! Can the taxyyyy file be uploaded to my new TT online account that only has 2018 taxes?

The instructions I found indicate that I need to be working on a return or start a new return. Since I just filed 2018, I do not see that option. It is saying to use the Tools menu but I do not see that option on the navigation bar on the left hand side of the online version.  My search was "can I upload my taxes from last year to the online version"

Is there a way to import a taxyyyy file so I can leverage the yearly comparisons and other features in the future?

You can only transfer from the prior year into the current  year from your computer into the Online version.  So you can transfer a .tax2017 file into 2018 before you started 2018.  Next year you can transfer the .tax2018 file into 2019.   You can only transfer (upload) the prior year into the next year at the begging before you start.  

If you use the same account next year it will automatically transfer the 2018 online return.  There's nothing you can do about getting 2017 into 2018 now.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies